California Drought

The State Department of Water Resources (DWR) released its 1 February update of hydrologic conditions. The combined content of the 12 most significant reservoirs is only 37% of their capacity. The snowpack water content statewide is only 25% of average for this date.

We are still in trouble.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Hi Dave,

Went fishing on easter sierra slope river yesterday. This river turn the color of brown like coffee and cream when there is run off. No sign of any color change. (It is all soaking in) And little water level change. And we have had 70F days in February. And the snow on the 14,000 ft peaks is already melting. Hardly any left

So, as you say, it looks like we are for trouble, a lot of trouble. Fire season should be a hum-dinger this year.

We need a bunch of cold maritime polar storms to blow through and dump a ton of snow.

-T

On 13 Feb 2015, T wrote in rec.gardens:

My sister lives at the base of the mountains below Tahoe. I notice that it's been close to 60 degrees F there lately, and she tells me that there is little snow on the mountains. The ski areas must be hurtin', and I bet it will affect the water table in the valley below come springtime.

Reply to
Nil

Hi Nil,

On the back side here, if you drill deep enough, you hit an aquifer out of Tahoe where the water is thousands of years old. So the humans will be fine water wise (if you are on one of those wells). Otherwise there is going to be a world of hurting.

One of the rivers I fish, the water got really weird. No sign of any life in it. No minnows, no bugs, no algae, no water plants. Completely dead. If we don't get any more rain/snow, I think this river is doomed for years.

Can you imagine a river without and life at all in it? Yikes!

-T