California Drought: 1 August Update

During the month of July, 12 major California reservoirs shrank even further, dropping from a collective content of 37% of capacity on 30 June to 31% on 31 July. Despite significant rain in July, the reservoirs now only contain 45% of the historical average amount of water for 31 July.
Added to this disaster is the prediction of torrential rains this winter, caused by an extreme El Niño warming of the eastern Pacific Ocean. It always seems that major droughts in California never resolve slowly. Instead, they end suddenly with major flooding.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 8/13/2015 7:30 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

And El Nino wouldn't fix the drought issue with all of its rain quickly. :(
--
"... Ooh, we haven't done that in a long time. I love picnics. I'll
bring my ant jar." --The Berenstain Bears (unknown episode)
On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:30:19 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:

The maddening part is that the State Powers That Be have had *years* to com e up with a way to keep all that fresh water from rushing out to sea! I saw facilities in the South of Israel -- Ashdod? Ashkelon? -- designed for pr ecisely that purpose. Why can't we do the same! Is it the (*&^$%^ politic ians, or do the Powers that be still have their head up their ass-etts?
Been decades since the poor overused Colorado River emptied into the Gulf o f Mexico. And small farmers -- not big Ag - in the Central Valley compete for the remaining groundwater; whoever can afford to sink well 1000's feet wins.
Well, at least I can get one of those city-subsidized rain barrels to catch flow from roof, since it looks like we may HAVE some flow --Inshallah!
HB
Once upon a time on usenet Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Now I've got to download Chinatown and watch it again. It's been well over 30 years since I saw it last.
--
Shaun.

On 14/08/2015 12:30 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

Snap. That sounds like a perfect description of what happens in Australia.