Calcium For Tomatoes

Hi Everybody,
Springtime here, and my tomatoes are in.
What is the most appropriate stuff for giving them calcium (to prevent blossum-end-rot), while respecting their PH acidity needs?
I am guessing blood-n-bone-meal? Sprinkled liberally?
They are in 20-litre (5-gal) buckets, with generic potting mix plus household compost.
Thanks...
In a blender add an egg shell to some water and water this in to a plant. You did add egg shells to your compost, right?
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:41:12 -0700, Antipodean Bucket Farmer

I did same here (our spring) and just mixed in a couple of handfuls of calcium carbonate specified for lawns. pH remained on acid side. Best done before planting. Frank
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

The bone meal would be OK but the blood meal contains a high nitrogen concentration. Too much nitrogen will make tomato plants generate more foliage than fruit. So it will depend on how liberally you sprinkle. The bone meal should have been incorporated into the soil before planting, but sprinkling it on top will help some. Neither of these components by themselves should affect your pH levels.
So what have you done in previous years? Has it worked? Or are you just trying to optimize your tomato yield?
Since you described your tomatoes in the plural, you have more than one. How about adding the blood-n-bone meal to half and just plain bone meal to the other half and keep a record of how well they do as far as fruit production.

What are you doing with your eggshells? Even moisture and watering will have a greater benefit, I doubt your soil is deficient. Calcium chloride works, 2 or 3 gm in a gallon of water.
On 27 Oct 2004 07:25:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) in rec.gardens wrote:

Tesco's also works. And in the all in all ends up being cheaper.
Trying to imagine draining water swirling counter-clockwise and spring in october,
FACE

It's been several years since anyone in our house has eaten eggs. The last time I purchased eggs, it was used to make a cake, and I ended up throwing away half the eggs because nobody ate them. Actually I think I hard boiled them, and buried them whole next to the roses. Figured they'll decompose and become rose food on their own.
Snooze

amazing what people will do, when a few handful of wood ash from the barbecue or wood stove or fireplace will give you hundreds of grams of Ca (wood ash is 50% Ca). and in fact, any soil rich in organic matter can not possibly be deficient in Ca. I spread it more for the K, the micros, and to adjust the pH.
simy1 wrote:

This would be a bad idea if the ash is from charcoal briquettes. The binding materials and petroleum residue is nothing I'd want to spread on soil used for food crops.
--
Warren H.