Caladium help!

So, my grandmother would like to plant caladium, but lives in the UK. I don't know anything about these bulbs, but would like to buy her some. Is there a winter variety, or should I wait until spring to send some to her? I have gone online and looked at some and am now totally confused! Thank you!

Confused in what way? What do you want to know about them?
JW wrote:

Caladiums are really tropical bulbs and require lots of sun and warm weather. If she plans on growing them outside they will likely survive but she needs to know that they may rot if the ground is too cool and/or too wet.
As for sending them to the UK, you did not mention where you are. There may be some restrictions on shipping them into the UK and it is best to check before you buy them. There should be dealers in the UK that will ship them directly to her.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
says... :) weather. If she plans on growing them outside they will likely survive :) but she needs to know that they may rot if the ground is too cool and/or :) too wet. :) :) But can make a nice water garden plant..have some totally under water in a pond setting.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

I treat them like annuals. Pricey but they bring light to my hosta groupings.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade Beware Of THINK LIKE THIS

These are tropical/subtropical plants. They need warmth and humidity. A normal house is too dry and probably too cool (assuming the light is adequate) so it looks like a hothouse of some kind will be required. Unless granny is petty knowledgable and prepared to do what is required I don't like your chances of bringing her great joy. If it is too cold/dry they will die or look like crap.
David

I'm not in the UK but do know they'll die if the tuber freezes. I wait until frost nips the tops. I snip off the dead foliage and being them in for the winter. They're kept in a cool room until spring.