Cactus Seed

I am retired and looking for a hobby. I love growing cacti and thought I would try cacti from seed. I have ordered from several commercial vegetable and annual flower seed company's but have not had much success. Does anyone know of places of people that sell cactus seed at a reasonable price. Any help would be appreciated. Neb
craterr wrote:

which is a 'rating' and discussions of reputable and problematic mailorder plant companies.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Have you tried Burpee? It takes a lot of patience to grow cacti from seed.

Cactus from seed takes a longggggggg time to grow, IIRC. (Or at least it did decades ago when I was a kid and tried it.) Are you sure you want to wait a few years for teeny plant when there are so many great ones you can buy at a reasonable price? Maybe you could do something else with cactus -- grafting, perhaps?
I did the same thing. I had a lot of success (mostly succulents) and then had to sell my collection when I went away to college. there used to be (I think) something like "new mexico cactus and succulent seed" organization that was dedicated to providing seeds to prevent ripping plants out of the wild. maybe somebody else knows the name? Ingrid

There are lot of cactus/succulent seed sources. A Google search will turn up dozens. My favorite is Mesa Gardens http://www.mesagarden.com:80/index.html
If you want some really nice flowering plants while you wait for your seedlings to mature, check out the the Schick ecinopsis hybrids from Huntington Botanical Gardens. I have a dozen of these little cacti and they are spectacular when in bloom. http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/Schick/catalogintro.html
--beeky