Cactus Flower

Fianlly got a shot of my Cactus Flower in Full Bloom! Check it out, also did some more edging over the weekend, will add the pictures later when Im home from work! :-) Thanks and Enjoy

Reply to
bbrown9506

Sorry, Sweetpea, but that's not full bloom.

Its a night bloomer and to see it in full bloom, take a picture of it three in the morning.

BTW, your plant is Cereus hildmannianus.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

:-)

if you ain't seen this, you ain't seen cactus flowers :-) :-) june 10th .. W-Europe 51 deg NL

enjoy !

Reply to
imbsysop

Big deal.

Its a bunch of Parodia, the "Parody Cactus", in bloom.

Not at all representative of the family as a whole.

I've seen much more than that.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

ROTFLMAO .. Seen more than that ? In Parodia sensu strictu ? .. not in your whole lifetime mate ! whatever wise cracks you may spit up .. :-) you do not seem to show much knowledge here, only nitwits would call it "Parody cactus" just to get/win some cheap audience ... I happen to have all the Parodia that were ever described plus a lot more from habitat, so kindly point me to the place where you've seen that "much more" ... oh I see you've seen a couple of sq. ft in a nursery all with P. sanguiniflora and you presume you've seen it all ? & despite the acute "Andersonian sickness", it's only idiots that call "Notocactus" a "Parodia" but isn't the (cactus?)world full of idiots ? .. but top it up with pictures from your own collection .. we'd be happy to see instead those instead of all the smalltalk you skillfully spead over this forum :-) .. grapes too sour ? ... and despite your apprent cactus knowledge .. a bunch of them were not Parodia but Weingartia .. another mud stain on yr family crest :-)

Reply to
imbsysop

Get with the program, Parody boy!!!

Obviously, you have never seen Jerry Barad's collection. He has most, if not all, the Parodia and then some.

You lame attitude is why I call it the Parody cactus.

The genus was actually named for Argentine botanist Domingo Parodi but the attitude of certain individuals who specialize in the genus "sensu stricto" has been so laughable that the common name is an appropriate one. Parodia just happens to be Spanish for "parody" anyway!

Any supposed distinction between Parodia and Notocactus is so blurred by intermediate taxa such as Eriocactus, Brasilicactus, Brasiliparodia and Wigginsia that any real generic distinction does not exist. DNA studies support they all be included in a single genus. According to you, the Creator must be an idiot too!!!!

On the other hand, Blossfeldia not only should not be included in Parodia, it has recently been given its own subfamily!!!

Weingartia is now included in Rebutia but that's another story.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message news:he5Ne.2138$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...

Congratulations .. you've been diagnosed with acute Andersonitis .. But your knowledge is marginal so it seems D Parodi was from Paraguay not Argentina so don't try to show off with this pseudo knowledge propagated by IOS members that can't make it any further than statements such as ".. unfortunately there is no practical means to make a distinction between Notocactus and Parodia ..", they must have been drugged OTOH of course no one should touch their own pet genera because the cannot be lumped of course, they should be left alone for the same "practical" reasons, taxonomy by double standards, cute ! .... The conducted DNA studies plainly stink but that will be bollocks to the IOS boys pushing this kind of pseudo-sci nonsense, the levels of DNA homology the studies? are based on are just laughable, no serious molecular biologist believes what is put forward there except maybe those that are desperate for grant money .... and yeah another such BS .. Weingartia is now Rebutia .. big deal, the idiots keep roaming around, no evidence at all, same mediocre sort of "research" .. obviously there is nothing you can teach us as all this has been known from before you were even born .. I've read this type of taxonomic newspeak crap over & over by people that would not even recognise a Parodia if they tripped over it .. The pride of pushed Kattermanisation ROTFL .. I suggest you make another taxonomic adjustment and put Cereus validus as a synonim to Cereus brainwashidus ... the new taxonomy is purely cosmetic and academic, but have a close look in what journals it gets published .. your best bet is the Cactus Consensus Initiatives ... and that's it so don't come with this newspeak crap, it is worthless This kind of braindead lumping, devoid of any critical sense & based on publication drift that's what I call a lame attitude. ... and good for Jerry Barad, maybe he can get the ones he's missing from me, and a large number habitat forms beyond that too .. all the rest I'm not interested in, I've seen/heard it a million times before, so you can produce all the hot air you feel fit to ..

Reply to
imbsysop

Don't know why you keep picking on the late Ted Anderson. He was simply following the IOC Cactaceae Working Committee recommendations. He was not the originator of the system he followed, sonny boy.

You are wrong about Argentine botanist Domingo Parodi. Are you going to pick on Carlos Spegazzini next for being an Italian botanist living in Argentina?

At least you are consistently wrong!!!

In the words of the great William Schatner: "Get A Life!!!"

Maybe some day you will find your peace with God but one suspects with your attitude you may wind up going to that other place instead and never get the opportunity.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......