buy snake plant, get free frog?

I bought a snake plant (sanseveria laurentii, don't know if I spelled that right) at Home Depot the other day. Most of them were kind of scraggly looking and I picked one from the center of the display. (the display was indoors). When I got home, I notice some cobwebs on the leaves, so i brought it back outside, put it on the front porch and sprayed it with a garden hose. At this point, a frog jumps out from nowhere. It jumped towards the house, landed on the screen door (which was still closing in mid-jump) and then leaped back to the plant. After I went to get my camera, it was gone or was hiding really well. I took the plant to the backyard, sprayed it again and took it inside the garage after a while. Today, I was getting ready to repot some plants and when I go to open the bag of Miracle-gro, there's the frog again. I'm assuming it's the same one, although I though it was darker, it has the same single stripe, though. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm inclined to leave it it's own devices, although I wonder if it left some eggs or something in the plant (some of the shoots look like they could hold water, like you see bromeiliads doing on nature shows). Why is it just hanging around? (it's been dry lately). Frog is about 2 inches long light green with a yellow/tan lateral stripe. The people at the city's animal control office didn't think I should be too concerned (since the plant was from indoors, go figure). I will post a picture in the alt.binaries.pictures.garden group.
Your frog story sure was riveting! Did you kiss him to see if he was actually a prince?
BTW, its Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii'
They really must be extra special at your local Home Depot if they have mastered a way to kill snake plants!!!

ha, very funny. are you sure my story was riveting and not ribbiting?
by scraggly looking I meant having damaged or broken leaves, not knock, knock, knocking on death's door.
I just went with what was on the upc label, which was Sansevieria Laurentii. It looks like this:
http://www.desert - tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Sansevieria_trifasciata.html
I don't usually play for that team, but for a kingdom, why not? So I ran inside to get a breath mint, but sadly the frog had disappeared again. :-(
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:44:40 GMT, Salty Thumb

Tree frog might be from the area where the plant was grown/shipped from, or it could be from the area local to the store where the plant was bought.. if it had been outside there, or was outside. I've seen another frog pic posted in one of the garden groups recently similar looking frog.
I've seen frogs that green here, but smaller and with Dark stripes rather than light. We have a brown version and a green version of the same tree frog.
Janice

No, actually the frog turns color, either green or brown. The stripe doesn't change.
-
theoneflasehaddock

yeah I remember reading about the frog here (rec.gardens) and it's the same kind of frog. of course I just assumed my own special froggy couldn't be the same, but it looks like they are both identified as a green tree frog, hyla cinerea. I think mine has smoother skin, so it would beat the other frog in a beauty contest (or wait, is bumpy skin better on frogs?)
anyway, I cut open the bag of potting soil yesterday and the frog moved off to loiter on the stack of buckets the bag was leaning on. Last night/today it rained and I don't see him/her anymore, after about 3 days of just hanging around. So maybe it went off for a swim or maybe it just took it that long to realize a bag of potting soil is not a tree.

It was probably waiting for the rainy day to move somewhere. It would be more humid, and less sunny, so the frog would be much more active then. It may still be nearby, or if it wasn't finding many bugs, or if it's ready to breed, it may have moved on already.
-
-
theoneflasehaddock
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:17:16 GMT, Salty Thumb

warty bumpy comparatively dry skin=toads frogs are usually pretty moist and smooth
Toads can get along without a pond except at spawning time Frogs want water or pretty moist places most of the time... although tree frogs live in "trees" .. but not where I live, they live under the barrels, in the moist grass, in or near the irrigation ditch. I think most of the tree frogs in this area disappeared because years ago I'd gotten 2 bullfrog tadpoles and I gave them to the neighbor at that time and they lived turned into bullfrogs.. thankfully the same sex as they didn't make a lot more bullfrogs as I later found out that they eat everything they can manage to swallow, including other frogs, even other bullfrogs, birds.. neighbor saw one get a goldfinch that got too close,. They'll eat baby ducks too. Anything that moves!
Since the only water in blocks that is still enough to spawn in is the pond the bull frogs once owned, I'm pretty sure the frogs and if they got a chance to spawn their eggs and/or tadpoles became a snack for the bullfrogs or the koi. I've not heard a frog for years! I did see something hop in the front yard last year, but didn't have a flashlight to see what it was.. I can only hope it was a frog or toad! Toads are better they eat slugs!

If it rained.. it finally felt like it could move on looking for a better home without drying up. They turn into frog mummies quickly! I have found them when they've come in and gotten all coated with cat hair to the point they couldn't do much more than crawl, and if they crawled under or behind things then I can't find them and fix them by putting them in some water and pull the hair off them and then put them outside.
Hopefully the froggie found another froggie and they make lots of tadpoles to eat up the evil mosquitoes!
Janice

It can take them years, but theu can do that at the Home Depot around here too. It may take a while. The key is to never, EVER, water anything. The other important problem is to make sure it doesn't sell before it dies, but outrageous prices for sick plants can often cure that.
-
theoneflasehaddock

Sounds like a green treefrog. (Hyla cinerea). They're common throughout the southeastern U.S.
-
theoneflasehaddock
"............ Today, I was getting ready to repot some plants and when I go to open the bag of Miracle-gro, there's the frog again. I'm assuming it's the same one, although I though it was darker, it has the same single stripe, though. Any ideas on what I should do? ................"
Take more water with it.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

not sure what you mean, but I dribbled some water (that I left standing for a while to get rid of some of the chlorine) next to it after it moved to the stack of buckets. I'm not sure it cared, despite the high temps that day.

It sure looks green -- more green than any frog I've seen in North America.
Perhaps you could get a better photo and ask about it in a frog-related newsgroup such as rec.pets.herp.
Cris

It does look like hyla cinera. I checked and it even has the leg stripe.
Last night when I checked on it, it appeared to have left but today it's back, but has moved a couple of inches further down on the bag.
The posted picture was taken with a really cheap camera and was the least fuzzy of 8. The mortar in the background definitely isn't that shiny, but the frog is about the right color.
I'm just going to leave it be, although I'm still wondering why it's hanging around.
Salty Thumb wrote:

My boss had a plant at home that came with a tiny tree frog. His was much smaller than yours. He had it for a number of years before it died. It lived in a bromeliad, I think. He never fed it so it must have found food somewhere in the house - insects, I imagine, but knowing his house I can't imagine there were any. Hmmm? Kate
--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

That's interesting ... I don't know what I'd have done if mine hadn't made it outside. I guess having a frog on pest patrol inside would be nice, but I'd be afraid of accidently crushing it while it was hiding or worse leaving little frog raisins in inconvenient places.