Buried Underground Hose Question

For a part of a diy home project me and my mates need to burry a length of standard garden hose underground permanently. My question is will the hose biodegrade? if so.. is there a specific type of hose that wouldnt biodegrade that i could use?

Thank you in advance

Reply to
hungrybuns

It is likely to deteriorate over time. Using PVC would be a better solution IMHO.

Reply to
Travis M.

The garden hose might last 3-4 years depending on a lot of things. [how good is the hose? how hot/cold does it get/ acidity of soil. . . ]

Use black plastic pipe. Should last at least 30 years- and it is cheaper than hose. [or was last time I bought some] Here's a link to a US supplier-

a hardware store in your part of the world.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Standard garden hose is too soft. The weight of the soil will depress it to the point of little or no flow.

2 options. Polyethylene hose, its black in color, will hold up. Other option is #80 PVC piping. Standard PVC will not hold up more than a couple of years, and, doesn't tolerate much weight, easier to break. You also have to consider foot traffic, and other traffic that may at sometime be traveling over the area in the future. Depth is also an issue for heavy items like a truck driving over it. Dave
Reply to
Dave

not to mention the damage to PVC from freezing temperatures. (yes, even buried) :)

Reply to
readandpostrosie

I have a buried 1" PVC water line that runs from the house to my mini-farm about 1000' away with another 500' running around the garden area. I live in NH and have had no trouble with the line even though I drive over it constantly with my Kubota tractor and occassionally my pickup truck.

The line is 6" to 18" below the surface. I drain the system every fall blowing it out with a compressor attachment.

So the claims that it will not hold up and will be damaged by freezing temperatures do not seem valid if one takes appropriate cautions.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

i believe you are lucky! we won't try that here in wisconsin.

Reply to
readandpostrosie

My buried 3" PVC pipe carries the overflow from my spring-fed pond to a nearby stream. Water has ran through it continuously (~1.5 gal/min) since 1992 without any issues except for an occasional algae clog. The pipe is buried about 1 foot deep in the ground.

Reply to
Phisherman