Bulbs out of season

All,

I bought some really pretty bulbs from the local hardware store and would like to see them bloom in my indoor garden in fall or winter. The package says that these bulbs perform well in semi shade to shade conditions. Is it possible to make bulbs bloom out of season? How does one go about doing this? I would be willing to invest in fluorescent lighting if necessary.

Peter peter snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
peter_walters

As Frankhartx noted, if you do a google.com search on "forcing bulbs" you'll find instructions, & lists of the sorts of bulbs this is easily done with. It won't work for just anything; it works especially well at a nearly fool-proof level for beginners with numerous kinds of narciccuses. When the bulbs are spent, though, they alas need to be thrown away, as forcing is a depleting process & if you afterword put them out in the garden, the chances of their ever performing well would be very slim.

Depending on your zone there ARE options for winter blooms that are natural in the garden. There are winter-blooming irises, autumn- and winter-blooming crocuses, winter-blooming cyclamens, kaffir lilies, & even some general "spring" bulbs include some varieties of narcissus & "snow crocuses" for examples that get so far ahead of themselves they're actually blooming in January.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat