Bulbs in containers-what to do now?

For the first time I planted some Anemone, Gladiolus, Four leaf clover

and Stargazer bulbs in containers this spring and they grew an flowered very nicely this summer. Now they are dead what should I d with the foliage and will they come back again next year

-- Glen

Reply to
Glen

Gladiolus bulbs should be taken out of the soil, dried, soil brushed off, and stored in a cool part of your cellar in boxes of dry peat moss. Check monthly for moisture loss. If they seem to be getting soft, lay a barely damp paper towel on top and cover again with peat moss.

Anemone are hardy in zones 4 to 8. Without knowing where you live, nobody can answer your question.

Four leaf clover is too general a name to be meaningful. Various plants are sold with that name, but the plants vary widely in terms of their needs. Got a latin name?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Bulbs are awesome planted in containers. depending on the zone you live in and how cold the winter's are, will determine if you need to lift the glads. there are hardy glads for colder temperatures, by the way, and Dutch Gardens always sells them from propagated bulbs. Every container garden I have around Fairy Holler has some sort of small and medium and large Spring bulb tucked into them. Sometimes I put summer and fall bulbs in too! (like Colchicums and burgundy oxalis and hardy begonia's, like Mother of Thousands and the common one I haven't gotten the name for yet...the foliage has died back, feed the soil with a bit of granulated bulb food from one of the box stores, shove a few inches of leaves into the containers and if it's really bitter cold and windy, put the containers in a sheltered place, like an unheated garage or shed. They'll wow you next spring from the bulb food, and double up for even more flowers. I also have Virginia Bluebells in containers underneath the shade........

madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where we're feeling the El Nino' and having zero visibility from fogs....

Reply to
madgardener