Bulb planting

We went to the Borg a few weeks ago, and as is the custom with my wife, she bought WAAAAAAAAAAAY more bulbs than we could plant on a three day weekend. They lay in the living room for about a week, so I put them in the fridge, not wanting them to take root in the carpeting.
Now we're just about (I hope) through with the cold weather, and bulb plantings should work in the next couple of weeks.
What's a good mix for planting this stuff in virgin sandy (imagine a sand dune) soil? We have a local rodeo arena where we got a load of mulch. (imagine stall cleanings) Actually, the locals say it is better than the mulch available at the landfill because it has far less foreign seeds. We can get the bales of peat, planting soil, etc.
This will be the first planting. I intend to leave them year to year, and cover them with straw. We have a new used house, and some bulbs sprouted that were left here, so I know they survive season to season.
TIA
Steve
SteveB wrote:

If you want information, it helps to provide some first. What sort of bulbs? Where are they to be planted? Anchorage, Alaska is not the same as San Diego, California.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Dig in all the most rotted compost you can find along with bone meal.... follow directions on bag. What kind of bulbs are they?