Bulb Planting

Hi! When is the best time to plant tulip and daffodil bulbs in Zone 6b? TIA

Plant your daffodils and tulips now (as soon as they are available in stores in early fall). That gives more time for the roots to gather nurishment for better blooms next spring. Be picky about the corrrect depth and spacing. Use a little bone meal (not fertilizer or manure which can rot the bulbs).

Hmmm... I think I might consider storing them in the vegetable keeper drawer in the refrigerator until the middle of October. That adds to the chilling time and still gives the bulbs enough time to do their thing after planted, particularly in zone 6b.
John
Thanks, you just reminded me to put my new tulips in the garage frig. There is speculation (fact?) that some fruit in the frig gives off ethylene gas which causes bulbs to not bloom. Anybody verify? Also, my local county horticulturalist prefers bulb food rather than bone meal since he says the bone meal takes a lot longer to break down. I mix them both together when planting. I'm in z5 and get good results even though I rarely plant before Halloween. The stores frequently jump the gun and stock bulbs early. I've bought bulbs at late fall sales and planted in November.