Bulb Naturalization in Lawns

If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be peeled back and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can push through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?

I moved into my house last September and began mowing as normal. I only found out this year that I had about 100 daffodils in a certain area of the lawn. They certainly do punch through the turf. As far as peeling back the turf for a new planting....hmmm. I guess it depends on how big an area and how many bulbs, as well as what kinds of resources (tools, money) you have available. If I were planting bulbs under grass, I think I'd utilize two people. One with a long bulb planter (the cylindrical cutter with a long handle), and the other person doing the planting and replacing the plugs of grass.

back
the
of
thanks. I read the planter method is ok for small numbers, but every book I checked says the turf peeling is best for large numbers.
There are no examples I can examine in my city whatsoever. I think if I try it will be with something small and understated like Scilla.

I have no idea how many bulbs you're considering, over how big an area, so I really cannot respond. But, how do you peel a large area of turf? Hire a landscaper with a machine?

Cut a three sided square with an edging tool, and peel back.

I know how to do that. But, the OP still hasn't told us how big an area he's talking about. I can't imagine manually peeling back a 100x100 foot area. :-)

he's
Not by hand!! But if that's the project, I'd hire the pros!

I'd use something like a grapefruit spoon. It's got those little serrations at the business end.
Leon Trollski Wrote:

Look around in any park with naturalised bulbs growing in grassy areas They don't seem to have any problems coming up year after year
-- Ornata
I've had better success with some bulbs naturalizing in lawns than others. Crocus seems to come back pretty reliably. I had chionodoxa for 3 years, but each year it got less and less vigorous and finally died out. Tulips will come back IF the foliage is not mowed before late May. Obviously, if you want a neat looking lawn, only the very earliest bulbs will naturalize in them, because the rule of thumb is that a bulb must keep its foliage for at least 6 weeks after blooming in order to store enough food to bloom the following year. A bulb that blooms in February will have a better chance than a bulb that blooms at the end of April of the beginning of May, because the lawn will look like a wild pasture if left unmowed until early June.

If I can convince She Who Must Be Obeyed, I'm gonna try chionodoxa, scilla, pushkinia, and muscari.
Leon Trollski wrote:

I plant small stuff by angling a spade into the lawn and sort of bending it up, then pop a few tiny bulbs in and stomp down. Have done crocus and bluets--small nodding deep blue flowers, not sure what they're really called--this way in a couple places I've lived. Simple and works just fine. I have daffs in one place in the lawn in my current house from previous owners. Greens come up and no flowers for five years now.

After the greens come up, how long are you waiting before you mow them? And, are you applying high nitrogen fertilizer to the lawn?
Doug Kanter wrote:

peeled back

push
bending
crocus and

really
just
from
them? And,

I have this problem too. I have about ten or twelve little bunches where only greenery came out. I ended up with two dafs in total, very disappointing. The first year they all came up fine, we're now in year two. We didn't mow them down until late summer/early fall.
KD

Hmmm....don't know what's up with that. But, bulbs like a different balance of nutrients than grass. How about picking up a soil test kit and seeing if things are all out of whack?