brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts

The brussel sprouts we planted last fall are now around 3 feet tall and covered with yellow blooms, but no sprouts for eating. Haven't grown these before....will they just go to seed now, or are the sprouts still to come? This is southeast US Zone 7. Thanks
ncstockguy wrote:

guess if it isn't a hybrid, you could let it go to seed and save them. If broccoli, keep cutting off any flowering buds and you may be able to get some new (small) side shoots to pick.
Nope, once Brussels Sprouts or Cabbage bolts (goes to seed) it is done except for producing seed. If you planted it last fall, it should have headed in late fall early winter. I usually pinch the tops off mine around Thanksgiving. Seems to give extra size to to the sprouts, which get large enough (bottom ones ) to harvest at Christmas. Since you eat the seed heads on broccoli, Bolting is not a major problem. Just cut it before it flowers.