Brown leaves on some maple leaves on some branches

I have a woodlot with lots of maples. Toward the house I have some maples that have branches with SOME brown leaves (like a leave turning brown during fall). It appears to be leaves toward the trunk. The leaves toward the tips of the branches are green and healthy. I have a shot that shows the condition below.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/BrownleavesonMaple.jpg
Any ideas?

Has it been dry there? Hard to tell w/o a close-up shot, but it does look like drought might be a possible suspect...
http://tinyurl.com/22gl6n
http://tinyurl.com/2cm6az