Bronze birch borer and Betula Jacquemontii in Northern California

I'm thinking about getting a Betula jacquemontii - White-barked Himalayan Birch for my front garden. I have heard that Jacquemontii birches can be quite suseptible to damage from the Bronze birch borer. Are Bronze birch borer's common in the SF Bay Area (Millbrae, CA)?
Thanks,
alfonso
About a page or two down in this document is some very good BB Borer info. Here is the link- http://www.unce.unr.edu/western/NHCnewsletters/2000-2002/Fall%202001.pdf#search ='bronze%20birch%20borer%20california'