Brinnging houseplants indoors ???

Can someone post a recipe for a (preferably organic) drench to pour through the pots of houseplants that have been outside all summer, to prevent bringing wildlife into the house?
Would it also be suitable for spraying on the leaves for the same purpose?
Thanks. vince norris

For anything living in the leaves, use a strong, fine spray from your garden hose, being sure to spray from all angles as well as underneath. For critters living in the soil, soak with a pyrethrin-based product, wait a day, then flush with fresh water. I can't give you a specific brand name because I don't do this because I don't use anything like that. Read the label very carefully - IIRC, pyrethrin will kill fish and/or bees, so watch where the stuff drains.
One hazard in soaking the soil is that there won't be enough light indoors for the soil to dry. A plant that'll survive a soaking outdoors may suffer from the extra moisture indoors.

I love the logic that, organic = good and chemicals = bad. It's people like you that can be convinced that dihydrogen monoxide is too dangerous to be allowed in our food.
There are plenty of things in nature that are incredibly toxic to humans and the world. Hemlock, snake venom, nicotine, mercury, lead. to name a few. What could possibly be on a potted plant and it's soil that would be so bad? A few fungus gnats in the soil? aphids? mealy bugs?
It's not like you're going to accidentally transport a rodent or something hiding in the pot. Visually inspect the pot, see what's on it, treat accordingly.
-S

I didn't say that; YOU did.

I'm as aware of that as you are; don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. One toxic substance you failed to mention is bitchy people.

As long as we're being critical, learn to punctuate properly.

I'd rather not bring them in the house.
"Organic" was my shorthand for something like a liquid made by steeping garlic or hot peppers in "dihydrogen monoxide" that would persuade insects to find a home elsewhere, and would not emit noxious fumes when brought into the house.
vince norris

To eliminate unseen stuff in the soil, you'd want to pour a garlic or pepper solution through the soil. You might be surprised at how nasty that stuff can smell a week later when it's failed to dry. I made some of this and put it in a sprayer back in April. A month later, it had spoiled, and smelled atrocious. I was afraid to use it on leafy greens for fear it wouldn't wash off completely.

Thanks for your two responses. I'll do the garlic solution a day or two before bringing the plants in, to allow the soil time to dry out a bit.
vince norris

Can I please hire someone with a baseball bat and a good swing to kill the spider living in my 30 year old Christmas Cactus, please?
vincent p. norris wrote:

Don't sweat it; you're not likely to bring anything bad into the house. If they are OK outside, they'll be OK inside. We bring our semi-torpicals in from outside every fall, and haven't had any serious problems - well, maybe fruit flies are serious, my wife ceratinly thinks so, but I don't. Besides, they usually come in with the bananas. :-) Bring the pots in, and watch for insect infestation. Treat accordingly (NB that pyrethrum is bad stuff, and the artificial pesticides made from it or mimicking its chemistry are about the same.)
HTH

How do you get rid of the GIANT spiders who have set up housekeeping in and around the plant? In Indiana I've actually seen spiders you could put a saddle on and I don't want them in my house. They don't have to *DIE*, they just need to move. Do you tack an eviction notice to the pot and wait 30 days?

Hose, sprayer. End of story.
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies wrote:

We kill 'em. There are more than enough spiders in the world.

They give me the willies. I'd rather not go within 20' of them.
BTW, in reply to a previous post, the spiders here laugh at a hose and sprayer. LAUGH, I tell you. They just hunker down and wait. Then they come back out and eat one of your cats just to teach you a lesson.