Bringing in tomato plants

I have. here, read casual references to "bringing in tomato plants". This year, I have a zillion volunteer tomato plants, mostly the cherry varieties. Can I bring any of them indoors, treat them like sun- loving house plants and expect any of them to bear useful fruit?

cheers

oz, down with a nasty cold

Reply to
MajorOz

How huge are your windows, and which way do they face? Tomatoes want full sun, and unless you have a very fortunate window arrangement, you'll need to augment the natural light with plant lights. Probably 1000-2000 watts would suffice.

That will cost more than a packet of seeds.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If light is the only critical element, I think it will work. They would be in a large window facing due south of a room with white walls and large mirrors -- light bouncing all over the place. It is a guest bathroom.

Thank you

cheers

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

Unfortunately, the brightest full sun in the house is still not as strong a candle light than the light shade of outdoors. Tomatoes need full sun for at least 7 hours a day, directly. You could never provide that in the house unless it's a greenhouse. I do plan to bring in my tomatoes to the greenhouse. They are heirlooms so their fruit is absolutely impossible to buy anywhere at the market. Even IN the greenhouse, if it is cloudy for several days in a row, the plant will not set fruit. Try it, but don't expect anything.

Reply to
Jangchub

It'll cost you nothing to try. But, see jangclub's response. Fruit? Forget it. Living plants, probably, but not happy ones.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom