Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (and missing o-rings)

Page 1 of 2
Saw these while at Harbor Freight today looking for fence equipment: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-brass-garden-hose-nozzle-31811.html
Only $3 for an all-brass garden hose nozzle seemed too good to pass up:

I had just bought earlier this week these $7 ACE brass nozzles:

So, given I have a lot of garden hoses, I bought a half dozen at HF:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off. :(
With my 80 psi of pressure, and hard daily use, I've had bad luck with a variety of the cheap hose nozzles:

When I look inside, I find the single o-ring ones seem to fail the most (I have to source those o-rings):

On 6/22/2013 12:37 AM, Danny D. wrote:

This is the only type garden hose nozzle I own, since I need it for use in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)71899351&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+hose+nozzel
http://tinyurl.com/mgtd33a
TDD
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:12:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Wow. That's a heavy duty garden hose nozzle!

I wonder if your company can pay for a dozen for me! :)
On 6/22/2013 9:07 AM, Danny D. wrote:

I've had the stainless version for years and the rubber cover protects it and any surface it might fall on. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:11:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

If the stainless is less cost than the aluminum, it might be worth it. Currently, I'm paying about $7 (for the Ace hardware nozzles) plus whatever that lousy plastic switch costs (probably 4 bucks).
I have these on at least a dozen hoses.
The reason for the nozzle is obvious; but the reason for the plastic switch is because the wife likes to regulate the flow better, especially in the low flow way for her plants.
If I went with the $7 Ace nozzles + the $6 Amazon brass switch, that would be roughly $15 per hose (incl tax or shipping) or about $150 for the set.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:52:33 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Garden hose brass ball valve:
<
http://lghttp.20535.nexcesscdn.net/809BC4/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x/4d240d7eed54a65cf440c47e8a086bb9/I/C/IC-GHBV-EA_1.jpg

Source:
<http://www.jondon.com/ball-valve-garden-hose-m-x-f.html
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:44:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

Regarding sourcing the 4" brass nozzles and brass valves ...
Q: Does anyone know of a better 4-inch brass hose nozzle or a better price?

Here's my quick nozzle summary, for others to benefit from, of the three types I bought from local box stores and tested this week:
ACE Hardware: $6.49 http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 72754&KPID8617&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID5559371 BEST: Always shuts off, easily taken apart for cleaning, has 2 o-rings, knurled knobs are easy to spin off, even when wet.
Home Depot: $7.67 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-in-Adjustable-Brass-Nozzle-27928/100659304 GOOD: Always shuts off, I can't seem to get it apart, has rubber knobs which are slippery when wet and which get damaged easily when using wrenches to undo tight connections.
Harbor Freight: $3 (regularly $5): http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-brass-garden-hose-nozzle-31811.html CRAPPY: Often leaks when shut off, only one o-ring, easily comes apart, knurling on the knobs is not cross hatched so it's hard to unscrew from the garden hose when wet, the gasket fits way too loosely so it can be easily lost, spray is not a clean stream at the strongest settings - but otherwise OK.
Of these three, I recommend the ACE Hardware 4 inch brass nozzle. If you know of a better nozzle, or, of a better price, let me know.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:44:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hmmm... it looks nice ... but ... at $13.69, it's a bit pricey considering I bought these half-and-half brass ball valves at Home Depot today for $6.00 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-3-4-in-Threaded-Brass-Shut-Off-Coupling-27933/100659291
Of course, yours is all brass, and mine is half plastic (or whatever that black stuff is) ... but still ... yours is twice the price:

QUESTION: What is that black stuff. Is it rubber? It feels hard but its also a bit soft.
Danny D. wrote:

Most people use trigger nozzles now.(water restrictions)
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:09:12 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

The wife used those trigger-style nozzles and hated them. Her main problem, she said, was they are difficult to set at a certain stream, and then just leave it there (she often walks away from the hose as it slowly waters plants).
So, we threw away all our trigger ones (even those very expensive sets from Costco which had quick connects - which turned out, for us, to be a waste of money).
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:36:50 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made: http://www.sears.com/ray-padula-metal-pistol-hose-nozzle/p-043W028221300001P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7 http://www.kmart.com/ray-padula-metal-pistol-hose-nozzle/p-043W028221300001P
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:28:31 -0700, Oren wrote:

By the way, I went to ACE today and picked up "their" rendition of the almost 100% brass garden hose shutoff valve:

Like the Home Depot garden hose valve, it had a black material where you'd rather have brass; but, for the extra dollar, it had a "two finger" shutoff valve, instead of the one-finger shut off valve of the Home Depot variety.
Presumably you can apply more force to this shutoff valve when it starts to get sticky ...
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle, at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than did the Chinese knockoff.
Just saying ...
On 6/25/2013 11:59 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Yea, but you can arm more people cheaply. If you have 1,000 folks armed with the high quality assault nozzles going up against 100,000,000 people armed with cheap low quality assault nozzles, it's no contest. The Germans learned this hard lesson in tank battles during WWII. ^_^
TDD
< snips >

I don't think that WW 2 is a factor in this thread .. ? ... only the most modern German tanks actually spray water at people. :-) John T.
--- ---
But, can the cheap Chinese nozzles put water on target? Doesn't do any good if their streams are breaking up at 20 yards, and the Ace nozzles can spray to 30 yards. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Thanks for the field test. I guess the chinky junky does make a (not good) difference. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle, at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than did the Chinese knockoff.
Just saying ...
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:36:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was surprised that the Harbor Freight Chinese nozzle, which effectively *looked* essentially the same as the American model, actually performed far worse at higher speeds - and about the same at the lower, less demanding, speeds.
a. They leaked when shut off (2 out of 7, versus 0 out of 3 for the American) b. They had a less satisfying spray at full force (the American just felt good) c. They only used a single o-ring (the American nozzle used two o-rings) d. The knurling was only parallel (the American knurling was diamond shaped) e. They had noticeably less heft (the American nozzle just felt good)
However, at low speeds (i.e., wide spray), which is what my wife uses them mostly for, the nozzles were about the same.
All in all - I don't recommend the Harbor Freight nozzles.
BTW, how often do you guys generally replace your nozzle o-rings anyway?
I'll admit, I can't remember ever replacing an O'Ring on my garden hose nozzle. I did mention in passing that a dose of silicone plumbers grease on the O'Ring and the threads may help the nozzles last longer. Havn't done that either. I'm not a power user like yourself. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .