Boundry fencing- which way round should the panels be?

What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the "pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours garden?

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Regards

Davew

Reply to
davew

Since it is your fence you can do what you want. Obviously your neighbor isn't going to be happy if you put the ugly side towards him. You have to ask yourself if that is important to you. I would probably find a fence that looked good on both sides That seems like a win-sin situation.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Try checking your state's statutes. In Wisconsin there is a whole chapter on the law books about boundary fencing - what type of fence is allowed, who maintains which portion of the fence, etc., etc. It probably varies from state to state.

HTH, Lisa M.

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. - Grandma Moses

Reply to
Lisa M.

When I was growing up, the "pretty" side always faced outward. That would mean facing the neighbors. It's only recently that I've seen exceptions to that convention.

Here's the thing. If I put up a fence, and turn the ugly side towards the neighbors, they either have to look at the ugly side, or go through the expense to screen it. If putting up the fence was my idea, then the right thing would be for me to give them the side that doesn't need screening. I can then screen my side of the fence.

I've also seen more fences that don't have "pretty" sides. The "good neighbor" 6' cedar fence, with vertical slats alternating from one side to the other is a really popular one. Horizontal slats basket-weaved around spaces between posts is a nice one, too.

Reply to
Warren

What makes this complicated is that the OP is posting from the U.K.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Since there are fence designs that look good on both sides, it really shouldn't be an issue unless there is some other factor (grudge match, pay-back, spite, etc.) that is driving the decision. I have heard of situations where a neighbor will contribute to the project to up-grade the fence to something mutually pleasing. I think it is a mistake to frame the issues as being limited to putting in a fence that only looks good on one side and having to make a choice who get to look at the pretty side.

Reply to
Vox Humana

As long as its your fence and your buying it, you can put it up any which way you desire............ I put all my fence up on my property so its a minimum of 4 feet off the property line as it saves disputes when I want to change things at a later date and also keep neighbors from hanging stuff or pileing up junk against it. I leave enough room for my L & G tractor to cut the grass and do what ever may be necessary on the "other" side of the fence like repairs etc. Your friendly good neighbors could move tomorrow and you could windup with some jerks........ Then again if you do not have much property that can be sacrificed by installing fencing off the property line yo may not have any other choice. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Hi Dave,

AFAIK there is nothing in UK law that states which way round a fence should face, the normal convention is that you put the good face towards your neighbour. However check your deeds as you may find that the boundary belongs to your neighbour, and they 'might' put up a fence with the good side facing you.

Bear in mind that if you are concreting the posts in, you may have to come back from the boundary line, so you can dig the footings on your property.

Having said that, I'd suggest erecting a fence that looks good from both sides, post and rail, standard lapped panels, interlap panels, trellis panels or plastic coated chain link. Both Jewson

and B&Q
have brochures on fencing so you can show your neighbour what you plan on doing.

FYI there is a UK specific gardening newsgroup at uk.rec.gardening

HTH

Cheers

Nick

Nick Gray

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Check local ordinances. Most fence ordinances that I've seen require the finished side to be towards the neighbor.

My brother's neighbor put up a board fence right on the property line. It had nice broad cross-pieces, & since his side had a southern exposure he was eyeing those crosspieces as nice shelves for some dangling plants.

Then the building inspector arrived & made the neighbor switch the fence around. My brother was out there when the inspector and neighbor were discussing the fence & he stated his desire that the fence remain as it was. No dice-- The neighbor had to change the fence to comply with the code. Managed to make both homeowners unhappy with just one ruling.

Reap as you sow-- if you can post here, you can stop back to read your answers.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Simply install a "good neighbor" fence ( boards/panels alternate from side to side of the cross-members) and the issue is moot. Both sides will look exactly the same.

- gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

There is a security factor involved. I've read that the good, flat, vertical side should face the neighbors since it more difficult to climb over to enter your property. The side with the horizontal rails is easier to climb.

However, I would think anyone with criminal intent could care less and still gain entry.

nonews

Simply install a "good neighbor" fence ( boards/panels alternate from side to side of the cross-members) and the issue is moot. Both sides will look exactly the same.

- gardengal

Reply to
nonews

Yeah. Like through the gate. The same way help and emergency services get in.

Reply to
Warren

And, since it is described as a "boundary fence" as opposed to a privacy fence, it may only be 4 feet high.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I think the pretty side was originally put facing out for security. Someone can't stand on the lower rung to look into your yard if it's on the inside.

You can alternate the pickets to make both sides look nice. This also lets more wind pass through which is helpfull in windy places like here where fences are prone to blowing down.

Just don't do like an old neighbor of mine did... he destroyed property corners, built the fence well onto my property then asked me to reimburse him for half his costs. Needless to say that didn't happen. But hey, I could stand on the lower rung and stare into their house if I wanted! ;-)

Laura B.

Reply to
Laura B.

snipped-for-privacy@kola18.demon.co.uk (davew) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

if you put the pretty side towards you, you get to look at the pretty side, but you may also get the feeling that you are fenced out (which may be preferable to being fenced in).

Reply to
Salty Thumb