Bouganvillia

I am growing a violet and white bouganvilliea along a fence trellis, but does anyone know how far from the parent plant this can be done?

Reply to
Peter Jason

You mean how far it will spread or vine? The most common hybrid forms can reach 40 feet or so when mature.

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I have seen them spread 8 m or more but if you want to cover a long fence you will get a better and quicker result with several plants (say)

4-5 m apart.

What does your neighbour think of the thorny leaders heading over the fence?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

My neighbour has a feral garden; it is one big thicket. Not only is it inpenetratable, but one of his ivys had crawled up another neighbour's sheer brick wall and smothered it completely. Colonies of birds breed in this ivy and their screeching, twittering and cawing keep me awake at 4.00 in the morning. I hope my bouganvillea will camoflage the hideous mess.

Reply to
Peter Jason

zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

I live in the desert and all the neighbors have huge Bouganvillia's climbing all over the place. My piddly plants have been in the ground for over 2 years and stand no more than a 1 1/2. Can't figure out what the deal is??? Any suggestions??

Reply to
Aria

To get my two bougainvilleas, I planted five small plants in a row and only two of these grew. I bought them from a supermarket. When I plant this sort of thing I always plant several different types together so that the inferior ones can be discarded later, and this saves time. Evidently some plants are weaker, or badly grafted and do far worse than others.

Reply to
Peter Jason

Feral garden :) I like that :) Conjures up all sorts of interesting images

Shell

Reply to
Shell91