bottle brush plant

I live in bristol uk I have a bottle brush plant that has flowered wel
in the last 2years but now looks as if it could have been frost damage as all the tips of last years flowers have gone brown although th leaves are still green. Should I prune the tips or what other treatmen should i use
--
tuck44

On 5/4/2008 1:35 PM, tuck44 wrote:

Is your bottle brush Callistemon or Melaleuca? Both are in the myrtle family and are native to Australia.
The flowers on Callistemon generally last only one season, so last year's flowers should already be history. Callistemon can be pruned severely, especially now before summer comes. However, prune only to above green foliage; pruning below the lowest green leaf may cause the entire branch to die (similar to pruning lavender). Pruning is not really necessary except for aesthetic purposes or to remove deadwood.
I'm not familiar with the care of Melaleuca. However, I know that it is considered an invasive pest in Florida.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

I guess it depends on how old it is. I have cut a callistemon that was at least 15 years old and almost 6 ft back very hard as it was leggy and ugly. The first year I cut off about two third of each branch on one side of the bush (back into bare wood) and when this repsonded brillaintly and bushed up, I than cut back the back half of the bush hard the next year.
The following site at the Australian National Botanic Garden may be of interest to you as it discusses pruning at various stages and in various places; http://www.anbg.gov.au/callistemon/index.html
I dont know how to help you with your problem but the name bottle brush plant is really appealing to me. I dont know if you can post images here but sometime when you get the plant going right, could you post a pic? Take care and happy gardening. Judy