Bonsai indoors

Hello all.
I am new to these groups and to gardening in general. I live in a small apartment and have no outside area but I really want to improve my skills with growing and I want to have more living things around my place. Bonsai has always fascinated me and I think i am ready to give it a try. I have started with one of those cheap kits growing from seeds. I am planning to put this one next to the grow light that is hooked up to my girlfriends Aerogarden. I know this isn't ideal but I am not too interested in this particular plant (it's more of a tester and if it works then I will keep it). I have no outside area, I have no good window to put the plants on and I don't have a lot of space.
I would, however like to give it a real try with some other plants. What I was thinking was to have a few small wall hung shelves to hold the plants on with small grow lights on each. Maybe the small LED ones, if they work well. I was also thinking I may need a humidification system. I live in the L.A. area in Southern California. I would really like to grow various species from seeds. I like the small size trees (less than 10") and maybe eventually try some forest styles with mini-bonsai.
I know that things don't like to grow indoors but it seems there must be a way. Please if you could give any advice on how to make this work, I would really appreciate it. I have never been much good at growing plants and want to learn. I know that bonsai is a bit ambitious but it is what I am most interested in.
Thank you for the help, Bill
P.S. sorry for posting to multiple groups but i wanted it to get to anyone that could help.

CFLs do a great job.

Tray of wet pebbles.

Would that be enough to keep them alive indefinitely?

Easily.
In article

Perhaps of interest .
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) =UTF8&s=dvd&qid09476422&sr=1-1>
or <http://preview.tinyurl.com/3po49f
We have a thirty year old fine leaf Japanese maple which is 9 inches high and 20 inches wide. Spreading not upright. We stated it out in a pot abut soon were not happy with how it looked so we planted in our front yard in a sheltered spot where it resides today. This after root pruning etc.
We love it!
I'll ask santa for a copy of the DVD this year.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Thanks, I'm looking at grow lights and stuff now. I think I will take it a bit slow at first but hopefully I can keep a plant alive.
On 4/28/2008 12:32 PM, Bill wrote:

In general, the climate indoors is not good for bonsai.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Pick a plant that is for INDOOR growing. A humidifier will take care of humidity.