Bolting broccoli and bok choy

I was so proud of my winter greens! The broccoli and the baby bok choy were growing like gang busters, and I was looking forward to fresh, organic greens. Who needs you, farmers' markets!
Then comes that sequence of VERY VERY hot days, and goodbye winter greens!
Both are bolting to seed. Trying to rescue what I can, but lost cause.
Damn, damn, damn!
We used to have such even weather (So Calif coastal); now it's yo-yo hot/cold like the East.
OTOH, the tomato seeds are sprouting and the onions and leeks are jumping up.
Nature giveth and Nature taketh away...
Persephone
<Persephone> wrote in message >

The hardware store can selleth thou some dark colored window screen material. Thou probably owneth some stakes. Figure out a way to suspend the screen over the broccoli, to shade it a bit. Worked for me. The broccoli bolteth not.
As I'm sure you are aware, broccoli (and the other kale family plants) are cool season crops. I would think that you could cut off the pre-flower bolting growth and keep growing them as long as the weather stays cool as it should this time of year. I don't know where you live, but here in Wisconsin, we had a couple, three days of temps in the upper 60's - low 70's, and everything sproinged out of the ground as though it was May. And folks still don't think global warming is real and this is "normal?" Geepers.
Just my 2 cents worth.
SoozieCue Persephone wrote:

Can you explain this in a little more detail? Do you mean cut off any growth that is shooting up from the middle? Or any little broccoli head that is forming?
and keep growing them as long as the weather

See below - So. Calif coastal.

Much appreciated. We are also having weird weather. Practically no rain all during the "rainy" season - 2nd year in a row -- and there will BE no more till November -- if then! Early warm days, interspersed with cold ones. (Warm and cold are relative terms!)
And yet the obedient Rep. clowns in Congress are still sucking up to our Jesus-Freak Maximum Leader, and refusing to acknowledge global warming...
None so blind as those who will not see...
What is truly amazing is that these Neanderthals (no, let me not insult a respectable, if extinct, species) never seem concerned about what will happen to their children and grandchildren because of their politically-motivated refusal to face facts.
Persephone

You rock girl. _ Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Persephone wrote:

Yes, cut off the center, taller part. If it doesn't get too warm entirely, you should get 1 1/2 - 2" side shoots that are perfectly edible.

Check this link out for detailed info concerning optimal growing temps for broccoli: http://www.bonnieplants.com/Default.aspx?tabidC9

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Look below for my answers.
Persephone wrote:

Yes, the growth that is shooting up from the middle. Side broccoli-ettes should form that can grow to @ 1 1/2 - 2", and are perfectly edible. No doubt in S. Cal. you're temps are too high right now.

And ain't that the truth!!!!

Well...I'll give it a try. Thanks for the clarification.
Persephone