Bluebells

Hi.

Has anyone got any idea what could be eating all the leaf tips of ou bluebells which were planted nearly two years ago. We don't hav rabbits or deer and thought bluebells were poisonous to most insect and animals. Thank

-- lizmac

Reply to
lizmac

there are a few pests that are immune to bluebells. if the tips are munched on it is likely due to rabbits. if there are holes in the leaves, it would either be slugs or earwigs.

Reply to
ricks555

Thanks so much for that. Could it be hares also? There are some hole in the leaves and the tips are all gone - about five thousand of them! We don't have any rabbits but I suppose it could be both hares an slugs/earwigs

-- lizmac

Reply to
lizmac

what is a "hare"? is it furry with a tail, long ears, whiskers and hops around before eating all the vegetables in your garden?

Reply to
ricks555

Rick. Where do you live? I thought hares were everywhere. They ar very cute but cause terrible garden problems, particularly to youn trees. Here is a link to tell you about them:

Believe me, if you don't have them you don't want them! However I do think the bluebells are being eate by slugs or earwigs as you suggested. How do I deal with that ove about one acre of woodland? Most grateful for any ideas. Many thanks. Liz P.S. Hares go a bit mad in March hence the expression "Mad as a Marc hare", A March hare went to the Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice i Wonderland

-- lizmac

Reply to
lizmac