Blue Hydrangea?

Page 1 of 2
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I never saw the topic. Are there any household potions I can add to my potted hydrangea to make the blossoms blue? Or do I have to buy some commercial product, and if so what is it? Thanks

Try aluminum sulfate. If that doesn't work, kill your pet dog and bury his/her body next to the roots.
Boston Grange <e-mail> wrote in message

Are
what
Aluminum sulfate will acidify the soil so I guess acid is blue and basic is pink. You can use a very dilute solution of vinegar or azela food but much weaker than the directions say.
Boston Grange wrote:

It that suppose to be a joke? To me, that isn't even close to being funny.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

Yes, I concur. One of my dogs is in the emergency hospital now on IVs and feeding tubes, unable to stand, and we don't know why. I have spent most of the last few days at the vet's office and across town at the animal hospital. The death or sickness of a pet is far from a laughing matter. I am sick with worry over this.

the mend; it's awful when you just don't know what is up. I've always enjoyed your thoughtful responses. </delurk>

and
of
Thanks for your thoughts. It was very grim over the weekend. Things started to turn the corner on Monday. She has regained the use of her front limbs and has some use of her rear limbs. Her neurological status has improved and her blood glucose has returned to normal. A lot of tests run over the weekend could not be sent out for evaluation until Monday, and more were run yesterday. We should have some results today. It is a case where there is no good pattern that ties together all the symptoms and test results. I think she will recover, although if I had taken the vet's recommendation on Friday, she would have been euthanized. We may never know what caused the problem. It looks like a total recovery may take some time, barring any relapse.
best wishes for you and your pooch!
And thanks for all the posts about my hydrangea. That thing might never bloom with all the rain we're having.

most
front
more
where
know
time,
best wishes for you and your pooch!
And thanks for all the posts about my hydrangea. That thing might never bloom with all the rain we're having.

most
front
more
where
know
time,

I don't like this either, it is definitely not funny!
'enry VIII
I sure don't like it either. Where do you buy aluminum sulfate? Could I not put a (Canadian) coin in the pot???

I don't understand the (Canadian) coin question, but aluminum sulfate it available at most garden centers with the fertilizers.
Regards,
Hal
I thought it was funny... of course I don't belong to the politically correct - watch what you say - can't chance hurting someones feelings crowd that so dominates American culture today.
Keep up the 'dry' humor!
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:47:29 -0400, "Boston Grange" <e-mail> wrote:

What's funny about suffering? In addition, I think that playing the "politically correct" card is a dishonest way to excuse stupidity and rudeness. I must be a lot older than you. When I was young, being considerate of others was called "manners" or "politeness." Apparently now being considerate is a sign of weakness. Ironically, I think that there is a large portion of the population who practice their own form of political correctness, but PC means being rude. It is a way of conforming to the norms of your social circle -- but it is still PC but dark and mean.
35 and very polite and considerate... I don't curse and I respect my elders... I don't think I am 'weak' for it.
I just lost my 16 year old cat and I cried like a baby...
You may just take things far too personnally...

I picked this up here some time ago and never tried for (pH greater than 7.0) red, but epsom salts (magnesium) gives a nice purple color.
Use the following to determine final bloom color (determination of bloom color is set approx. late Aug-early Sept.):
pH >7.0 = red 6.5 - 7.0 = white 5.5 - 6.5 = pink 4.5 - 5.5 = blue <4.5 = purple
pH control for plants: to raise pH, use hydrated powdered lime at a rate of 1.1#/100sq.ft. to raise pH 1pt. for heavy soil. To lower pH, use ironite or iron sulphate at a rate of 2.5#/100sq.ft. to lower pH 1 point. For 10sq.ft. (size of large hydrangea) area use 1/4 lb. of ironite, which is 1/2 cup.
VG information To acidify the soil, use aluminum sulfate, which provides aluminum as well as lowers pH, mixed 1 pound to 7 gallons of water. Soak the ground with it after the plant starts growing in spring and repeat twice at two-week intervals as necessary to lower the pH 1/2 point. To raise the pH 1/2 point, spread ground limestone in spring or fall at a rate of 5 pounds per 100 square feet.
Regards,
Hal

Most of the hydrangea's around here are very blue. The soil here is acidic. But, the hydrangea flowers on mine are amazingly both pink and blue with huge flower clusters--it looks "artificial." I'll post a pic on the binary garden group when I get the film developed in a week or two.
DO you drink filtered coffee at home?
--
Paulo
"Jutta Haas" < snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com> wrote in message