blowers

Page 1 of 3
Anyone comment on gas-powered blowers? I'm thinking about getting one for leaf pickup, and more importantly, to clean driveways and streets from grass clippings. Any comments on Stihl blowers?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Phisherman wrote:

For leaf pick-up, a yard vac with a pick-up tube will work much better than a blower-vac that's light enough to carry. And if you're not going to vac them up, a rake is twice as fast as blowing them. For cleaning grass clippings off of the pavement, what's the matter with a broom? A broom is faster, too.
--
Warren H.

==========
βœ–

Many years ago I had a job picking up leaves. We used two types of blowers. The backpack blower (essentially a hand blower) was used to get leaves out of the corners, under bushes, away from the fence, etc. The other blower was a big puppy on wheels. One person would "cut in" the back end, then the other would start using the big blower to do the larger open areas. Two of could do a good sized yard (1/4-1/3 acre) in under an hour.
I would agree that using only a hand blower is slower. However, if you're willing to spend the bucks, you can use it for the edges (much faster) and blowing the driveway.
Tip #1: Cut your grass short at the end of the season - makes picking up leaves easier.
Tip #2: Use your mower and mulch them (if it's not too thick and you have grass). I always did that and let my clippings drop, too. Never fertilized. Rarely watered. I always had the first and last green on the block.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi,
These blowers are also so noisy more so than a lawn mower. I could understand the use if they did not have to pick the leaves after blowing them. We have one that picks the leaves and put them in bags. This year I use the rake; no noise just the pleasant noise from the leafs.
Franηoise.
Warren wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Spoken just like a pre-teen, urban, apartment dweller. A dumb one too.
Shepherd
Add pictures here
βœ–
Shepherd wrote:

one
streets
better
going
cleaning
No. Spoken like a suburban homeowner with 7,000 square feet of lawn, and a dozen deciduous trees, including a 60' sweatgum tree that dumps quite a few leaves on the front lawn. (Most of the other deciduous trees are back in a little wooded area where I leave the leaves where they fall.)
A number of times I've wanted to be like the neighbors, and get a blower, but when I stop and think about how I can already do everything a blower does, do it better, and take less time than with a blower, I save my money and use it to buy some DVD's to watch after I've finished my work, and my neighbors are still out there trying to use their blowers.
Whether it's cleaning up after mowing, or raking leaves in the fall, I find I have no use for a blower.
Revoke my membership in the macho home owner's club if you must, But I really don't have the need for a penis extender... er.. a... leaf blower.
--
Warren H.

==========
βœ–
- Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN: An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter."
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jim Lewis wrote:

Grass clippings get mulched back into the lawn. The leaves are moved to the vegetable garden. The shreaded leaves are tilled into the soil this fall, and in the spring I test (among other things) the nitrogen level (along with visual inspection) to make sure they have incorporated well.

When I rake, I use a big rake, and a large tarp. Dragging the loaded tarp through the gate and to the backyard is more of a workout than the raking itself. As long as you're not trying to get every little leaf fragment, raking is no big deal.
--
Warren H.

==========
βœ–

On a yard as small as yours with only one tree, raking is no problem at all. On the lawns around here that measure from 20,000 to 25,000 sq. ft. or more, with half a dozen large mature oak trees, it is a very big deal indeed.
Shepherd
Add pictures here
βœ–

Very true. I've got a yard that big, with many oaks and pines, and use both rakes and electric leaf blowers. The electric ones need cords, true, but they're much quieter and less polluting than the gas ones.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Shepherd wrote:

at all.

more,
indeed.
If raking up one tree is faster than blowing the leaves, why would it be faster to blow the leaves of 12 trees than rake 12 trees.
Or to put it into numbers: Time it takes to rake up one tree: 30 minutes. Time to rake up 12 trees: 12x3060 minutes. Time to blow the leaves of one tree: 60 minutes. Time to blow the leaves of 12 trees: 12x60r0 minutes.
The difference? When I swing the rake, it doesn't matter if there is just the natural layer of leaves under it, or up to 5 or 6 times that depth. Takes the same effort. With the blower, it may blow that single layer just as fast as the rake, but as the pile builds up, the blower becomes less efficient.
And if those leaves are wet, add 50% more time to raking; double -- or may be triple, depending on the size of the engine -- the time for blowing.
It's also more difficult to blow onto a tarp than it is to rake onto a tarp. With the rake, all you have to do is lift the rake high enough to miss the tarp. With the blower, you have to aim pretty darn high to miss the tarp, and when you do that, you miss the leaves, too.
I'll grant you that my arms would be falling off if I raked-up under 12 trees, but I'd be bored to death, and my arms would still be sore after spending 12 hours with a blower hanging from them. At least if I raked, my pain would be accompanied by a muscle and aerobic workout, not simply cramps from stretching my arms out, and carpal tunnel syndrome from the vibration of the blower.
If I had a dozen trees, I wouldn't have the time to rake or blow the leaves. But I would have the time to use a yard vac. A dozen trees in about 180 minutes. The leaves are already shredded, and if they're wet, there's hardly an increase in the time it takes.
But if you want to carry around your blower, that's fine with me. It's not my time, and it's not my arms.
BTW... 20,000 to 25,000 square feet of lawn is far too much work to begin with. Unless you need that size of a lawn for kids to play football, you could save yourself a lot of work, and have a much more aesthetically pleasing landscape, by converting some of it to perennial beds. There's nothing attractive about 20,000 square feet of nothing but grass.
--
Warren H.

==========
βœ–

Your logic stinks!
Your math would not get a passing grade even in elementary school!
Your option of what others like is unasked far, unwanted and stupid.
Go find a busy street and see if you can dodge the cars.
I don't have time nor desire to play silly games with an obviously immature, ignorant adolescence.
Shepherd
Add pictures here
βœ–
Shepherd wrote:

immature,
<response to off-topic flame> Okay. Why don't you stop the name calling long enough to actually check the math with a calculator, find out what logic is, and learn the difference between "option" and "opinion", "for" and "far", and "adolescence" and "adolescent". My goodness, if you're going to call someone a name, at least get the right word.
Either get on-topic, or get out. Attack the ideas, not the person. Hint: You do that by contributing information and experience, not by name calling. At least that's how adults discuss things.
My mistake was to defend myself against your original name calling. I should have been smart enough to know by your lack of contribution that you wouldn't care what I wrote, and would only take it as another chance to show off your lack of originality in name calling.
Or to bring it down to a level even you can understand, bite me. </response to off-topic flame>
--
Warren H.

==========
βœ–

Thanks for the spelling lesson, now if you could learn just a little bit about gardening, logic and math.
Shepherd
Add pictures here
βœ–

They're all noisy
Dan
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have an electric blower which is fine for cleaning walks and driveway. I assume gas powered blowers like trimmers or chain saws require all clothes to wash and you to shower after using. Frank
Add pictures here
βœ–
Frank Logullo wrote:

Depends on what you're blowing. They don't spray debris in all directions like trimmers and don't aim oily chips at you like chain saws. The leaves are being blown away from you and the engine exhaust is directed away from you (although my wife has a sensitive nose and can sometimes detect that I've been using the blower).
On the other hand, whenever you're blowing leaves, the wind will be blowing toward you, so you will get covered with bits of leaves. However, that can happen when you're raking also.
As far as the noise comments, they are noisy. Wear hearing protection if you're going to be using it for more than 5-10 minutes.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Phisherman wrote:

They have their uses, but don't throw your rake away. The blowers are quicker than a rake for getting leaves out of restricted places (window wells, under bushes, corners, etc.). Once you have a large pile of leaves, the blower doesn't work well. At that point you're better off with a rake, but at least by that time the piles are consolidated somewhat.
Also, the rake works better on wet leaves and pine needles in moderately tall grass.
I have a Stihl backpack blower. My only complaint is that until the engine warms up a half a minute, a sudden pull on the throttle can stall it. Once it stalls, you can't start it without taking it off your back (unless you're into those strange yoga positions). To put it on is not really all that easy unless you have a pickup truck and can put it on the tailgate. A 4wd with a higher tailgate is better. (However, it's probably not worth buying a 4wd truck just for your leaf blower.) I've been using it about 5 years without any other problems.
If you have only a small area, the hand blower is probably what you want. Electric models are cheaper, but you're limited by the extension cord. I have one of those also, and it's great for cleaning out the garage.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Blowers 10 years ago were about 92 decibels and today they are around 67 decibels with better mufflers and more efficient engines.
Phisherman wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
βœ–

How do you like the air that we breath? The sounds [of nature] that we hear?
"According to the Lung Association, a leaf blower causes as much smog as 17 cars . " . . .
. . . "This paints a bleak picture for the power blower. It is perhaps the most over and inappropriately used landscape tool . Autumn's tremendous amounts of organic debris that requires collection might be considered appropriate use of this tool. However, the weekly routine of blowing abuses the soil and damages landscape plants while the noise generated creates ill will from neighbors and clients alike. Leaf rakes deserve a renewed interest in the maintenance of landscapes."
http://www.nonoise.org/quietnet/cqs/leafblow.htm Some pretty interesting reading there . . .
Mary Ellen
Add pictures here
βœ–