Blackcurrants

Hi again, On 13/03/2011 I wrote the following: " I bought a blackcurrant bush from a garden centre last November. It was in a pot, and before I planted it, I pruned the three branches to about two inches above ground. The three cuttings were about eight inches long, so I cut them in half, and just for curiosity I planted the six cuttings with a bit of bonemeal. The bush I bought is now doing quite well, and I noticed that out of the six cuttings, two had tiny buds showing. These two are now showing foliage. I don't want to disturb them, but does this mean that they have rooted. "

I received a couple of answers saying that they had probably rooted. Although the bush I bought is doing well, the two cuttings appear to be dying. They are planted close to the bought one, so the soil is the same. Has anyone any idea what could have gone wrong. I gave them a little watering, but not too much as the ground was pretty damp to begin with.

Reply to
Greenveg

Are these two you mention the same cuttings? If so, most likely it was too far along for the hormones or growth regulators to switch to rooting, but know that you can sometimes root budding cuttings.

Some may argue against but next time you might try a rooting compound geared to your cutting or some willow water. Bone meal does very little, if anything, for rooting.

General info on PGH or PGR:

Gunner