Blackberry question

I have in the yard of my new house a plant that I've been told might be a black berry bush, fast growing thorny vines and plain green leaves. But there are no berries. If it is such a plant, is there something I can or should do to help it sprout berries? It's been 5 months now, and of course the season is probably over now, but I'm wondering why there were no berries all summer. Could it be something else?
snipped-for-privacy@fearofdolls.com wrote:

Where I live, there are blackberry bushes all over. They are a major weed. It sounds like they're rare where you are, since you aren't sure what they look like.
Did your's flower? I don't know if they are self-pollinating or not, I'm too busy trying to rip them out. I have some that try to grow in the woods by my house every year. They get started and then the leaves appear on the trees and they don't have enough sunlight to do much of anything. How much light are yours getting?
On 6 Oct 2006 19:41:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@fearofdolls.com wrote:

It could be something else, but if it is blackberry, I believe blackberry fruits on old canes. If it was cut back last year it will produce fruit next year, unless you cut off all the old canes again this year.
Regards,
Hal
snipped-for-privacy@fearofdolls.com says... :) I have in the yard of my new house a plant that I've been told might be :) a black berry bush, fast growing thorny vines and plain green leaves. :) But there are no berries. If it is such a plant, is there something I :) can or should do to help it sprout berries? It's been 5 months now, and :) of course the season is probably over now, but I'm wondering why there :) were no berries all summer. Could it be something else? :) :) The next years berries will develop on this years growth. Flowering in the Spring ripening around Mother's Day. After fruit time next year, lightly prune then feed it to stimulate new plant growth.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
If it is the Himalayan variety get rid of it as soon as possible. Usually the only way to kill them is roundup in mid July.
They are a major invasive weed. You are better off buying blackberries in the grocery store. If you nuture it, the plant will spread and pop up in the most unlikely and unwanted places. It is proably the most obnoxious plant on the planet.

I dug some up and planted them in a row. I put up some fencing for them to cling to. Then I ran some soaker hose along the row. I put down some tick graduals to keep from having problems with ticks and chiggers. Then My wife mowed 20 ft on each side of the row to keep the weeds and volunteer blackberries under control. We started getting flowers she second year, and picked from the end of June through July. That is when I got tired of messing with them and letting the birds and bugs have the rest. I had picked and canned 10 gallons, given away 3 gallons and sold 2 more. All this was from 17 plants.
Dwayne

My advice - GET RID OF IT before it takes over! Just spent 6 hours cutting them back in a small part of my dad's yard - then there's the 500' driveway with them lining it, plus the bottom 2 acres. The blackberry is a smart plant - it sends long shoots over everything and down to the ground where the end starts its own root system. Do not encourage blackberries!

Well I decided to get rid of it, but I coulnd't get all the roots...I dug a ways down and just ended up cutting what I could see and burying what was left...I hope it won't come back.