Black Walnut Tree....What to do.....

All, I hope I am in the right Newsgroup.......

I have a black walnut tree that I am guessing is about 50 or so years old. It is very straight and its first branches spring out are about

17-20 feet up. The total tree is about 35-40 feet tall.

The problem at hand.

This tree is within 2 feet of my home. It completely blocks one whole window in my dining room. The tree has caused us few problems over the years except that it drops its walnuts on my roof and in my front and back yard at the same time. The tree did loose a branch for the previous owner and put about a 6 inch whole in a roof valley but thats been 20 years back. Needless to say this tree needs to move or be taken down as its not gotten any smaller over the years and could become a major pain in the future.

So here are my questions; I have been told that black walnut trees are somewhat valueable for the fine wood industry. The previous owner said that she was offered around

3000 dollars for the tree about 20 years back.

Is this tree truelly worth this kind of money? How would one go about selling a single tree? Who do I contact? (Foresters,Tree Removers?)

Can a tree of this size be moved especially as close to my house as it is?

I am basically deciding what to do with this tree. I have a wood fireplace that I heat my house with for most of the winter. The tree would probably give me a month or two of wood. Or approximately about $400-600 worth of fuel (at least!)? I could move it or sell it?

Thanks for all help and suggestions, Chris Solomon_Man

Reply to
Solomon_Man

galt_57

You won't be able to move a tree successfully if it has to lose almost half its root system (and all the roots on one side, thus no anchoring capability left).

You might have a hard time finding anyone to buy the tree, as well. Urban trees, especially that close to a house, tend to pick up nails, screws, hammock hooks, clothesline wire, and various other bits of metal. The havoc they wreak on saw blades is not worth the headaches and heartache.

The money saved on firewood is likely to be offset by the cost of the removal (a competent arborist might well charge over $1000 to get it down without damaging the house).

Your best bet outside of firewood is probably to seek out a local woodworking club/group. Some guy with lots of time to check for problems might be willing to go to more trouble than a mill that could be processing clean logs if it weren't for wasting time on this one.

Of course, that guy is far less likely to have the means and wherewithal to move such a large log intact without destroying your landscape. Are you sure you can't coexist with this tree?

Good luck.

Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236AT

Reply to
Treedweller

thousands. When used for fire wood, they charge you to cut down the tree and then charge you to haul the wood away and then sell it. So unless you find the right people, be prepared to pay for the job. I had a couple walnut trees cut down by a guy that had a portable saw mill. He did it for nothing. That was a big savings to me because everyone else wanted to charge to cut them down.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Actually landscape destruction is not so much a big deal. I have had to remove ten trees this year alone from my front yard because of remodeling, storms, and disease. I have two friends that are landscape architects, and they suggested the local saw mills for the tree. The price on ebay for black walnut boards is quite high so maybe I will just have the tree dropped and take the trunk to the mill. I am fairly handy with wood and then the undesirable pieces cut up for fire wood.

As far as moving the tree or another tree, can a maple thats a little over a foot in Diameter be moved sucessfully. The tree is in great shape but its in the middle of my future driveway with no way around. I love trees but this year has not been to good for them, luckly my yard has many more. I am in the middle of a major outside remodel. New Concrete, Mulch, Grass, flower beds, and even new trees. These are the last two major obstacles.

Thanks for the advice, Chris

Reply to
Solomon_Man

Solomon_Man wrote: [...]>

With a few exceptions (eg, birch, which reacts badly to any root damage), any tree can be moved if you're willing to pay the cost. In this case, I assume 30ft or more in height, so you'll need a pro to do it for you.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It can be done with the right equipment. I recently followed the movement of a live oak about 9" DBH. Bids were from $800 to $1700. The low bid actually seemed to be the best choice in this case--they refused to do it in an afternoon, but instead dug a trench around the tree, then treated the root zone with hormones and the tree with anti-transpirants, then dug and prepped the hole with root stimulators, then brought in a tree spade to make the move. It was a local tree grower that mostly caters to wholesale (builders and such).

Another 3" diam adds a lot of weight and risk (to the tree and the workers) to the process, of course, but for about a hundred grand a local ad agency moved a pecan tree well beyond that size a few years back. Don't know where your price will fall, but most likely between those two ;-)

Treedweller

galt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1143666784.679892.22400 @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I agree. I needed to remove a mature black walnut and had always heard they were valuable. I called several lumber mills in the Washington DC area and the best offer I heard was "I'd do it if you had a dozen; but one tree isn't worth it for me." I ended up paying to have it done, but the tree service gave me a discount for giving them the lumber.

Reply to
Robert

Robert galt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1143666784.679892.22400

@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

The value of black walnut trees seems to be an urban legend. In actuality the market for urban trees seems to be very minimal...

I agree. I needed to remove a mature black walnut and had alway heard they were valuable. I called several lumber mills in the Washingto DC area and the best offer I heard was "I'd do it if you had a dozen; bu one tree isn't worth it for me." I ended up paying to have it done, bu the tree service gave me a discount for giving them the lumber.

if your black walnut tree is big enough it can go for veneer woo rather than for sawlogs. the tree would have to be at least 21 inche in diameter minimum. i would call your local forestry department an ask to speak to one of the foresters there and see if they can give u number to call of someone that would have any idea as to the value o your tree and ask if they know anyone that would be willing to come an take your tree down if it is considered to be of veneer quality. if the dont know of anyone i sure would advertise in the paper or try and fin someone to buy the tree on your own. good luck. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

yes -especially if they have straight lengths of "veneer" logs in them. I have heard $25,000 for some ten foot logs that have a hard life and a solid core and no knots.

if the core is good (that is very important), and it truly is 20 feet before any branches, a wild guess says that it's likely in the $10,000 range, depending on the area and the market. (Don't spend it yet, though) Get a couple of quotes. Once the tree gets too old, it becomes just lumber, and is worth a lot less than veneer logs.

depends on your area - google and yellow page for hardwood sawmills - most will come and get the tree, and the ones I know will want to cut it themselves ( cutting it yourself or having a tree removal service do it can crack or shatter the insides, making it worthless.)

Reply to
hob

I have a place a few miles from a hardwood sawmill - veneer logs are fairly rare and expensive. My neighbor down there works for the mill as a tree cutter. Apparently the wild ones don't have enough height before branching to get good veneer, and urban ones are used as fences so a log starts four feet up above the nails, etc.- and there are few of those logs around. And the price is quite market sensitive. So what the owner gets depends on how far from the mill, how much competition, and what kind of lumber the mill can get from the log.

His mill had paid nearly $25,000 for several logs several years back, old growth veneer grade with intact core ( when black walnut was a Japanese decorating craze?) Most black walnut, however, is not veneer grade.

that is an ugly tree even for lumbering........

Reply to
hob