Black Walnut Seeds

Page 2 of 3
wrote in message

You left part out.
While scarifying is an alternative, it is not necessary, any more than stratification. It may influence germination, but in nature, it doesn't happen that much, scarification that is. Nursery's stratify black walnut, but seldom scarify, just as they stratify other seed. Particularly in warmer climates.
From experience, not from the book, ran a black walnut operation in Missouri, and a nursery worker/observer in Texas. Stratification is a process used in nursery production, not in nature, natural effects of climate do the same without impute from man, except in the deep south. Try thinking about nursery processes instead of making judgment calls.

Sorry, but some things are best relied upon from the book.
Not many care what one claims to have done in the past that they can't prove anymore than barrroom anecdotal drivel... folks can and do claim all sorts of miraculous feats on teh net but unless they can offer actual proof it's just liquor tawkin'. All the sites from educational institutions that I read say that black walnut must be stratified to germinate... I've never done it myself but I believe edu sites. I ain't gonna spoon feed yoose on this one, look it up your ownselfs. I don't like walnuts anyways, pistachio rulz!

the same, you said scarification is to remove the husk, wrong, it is to reduce the thickness of the shell. Moisture and freezing does that in nature, stratification as well. But in a nursery, you will note the following phrase, stratification is necessary in the deep south.
I don't need to look it up, junior, I live it.
"D. Staples" wrote:

Sorry, and you are wrong. or Sorry, and you're wrong.
when compelled to argue with the know it all guy-0-mite it is important not to allow your point to be negated or reduced in it's effectiveness with improper word utilization.
be precise and make use of accepted standards.
scarification 1: the act or process of scarifying
scarifying 1: to make scratches or small cuts in (as the skin) <scarify an area for vaccination> 2: to lacerate the feelings of 3: to break up and loosen the surface of (as a field or road) 4: to cut or soften the wall of (a hard seed) to hasten germination

Jim wrote:

Huh?? "it's"?
--

John McWilliams

John McWilliams wrote:

John McWilliams, thank you for your assistance in making the point. there's just not that many helpful people around these days.

John asked a straight up question. Are you going to be the anti D. Staples? How about a non-wise ass answer?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Billy wrote:

my perception is that John pointed out my incorrect use of the word "it's". I simply thanked him for his astute observation.

while pointing out something to D. Staples I offered D. Staples something in return to point out to me. John got there first.
- hth -

Ah, pedagogy.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Billy wrote:

precisely.
thank you, now, piss off.

Don why don't you leave these people alone?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Beware of so-called tree biologists who have never studied biology.
You leave people to think I have never studied biology. I have studied biology.
The story of my professor is here: http://www.shigoandtrees.com/AlexShigo/tabid/160/Default.aspx
Their web site is here: http://www.shigoandtrees.com/Default.aspx
Where is your story Don Staples? Please stop being nasty and stop saying nasty things to people on this list. You are the only person I know who talks the way you do. You are an exception to the forestry industry. Your behavior is out of line with many fine foresters. You are surely not an example of what a forester is.
Ignorance of tree biology has been, and still is, the major cause of tree problems worldwide. Shigo 1999
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

You are living off Dr. Shigo, and trying to use his education and reputation to augment yours. Here is your education, not one biology class listed at any reputable university.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/educat.html
Beware of so called tree biologist that have never studied biology.
Don I am living off of an understanding of tree biology greatly in part as a direct result of the teachings of Dr. Alex L. Shigo. What is it that you are trying to say?
Also I have learned a great deal about the ecological stages of trees by many other people by reading what they have written and by walking in old growth forest with such an understanding in mind. E.g., http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/jk-79html/index.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/jk-64-html/index.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/jk-98/index.html
If you look here you will find articles by Dr. Alex L. Shigo http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/index.html
Also a great deal of the tree biology workshops I attended addressed many issues dealing with the biology of trees. That is the biology I have and am still studying.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Yes

No.
You've given yourself away again, Sheldon.
Janet

Be aware that Black Walnut is not condusive to other plants grown near it. That means no vegetable garden and most flowering plants. If you want Black Walnut, fine, but don't expect anything else to grow around it. Look up: juglone or http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

I lived in a house that had one Black Walnut and a couple of English Walnut trees. You're right - absolutely nothing would grow under the Black Walnut. We ended up pouring a nice patio around it. The English Walnuts weren't much better, but I did manage to have a nice garden of Calla Lilies under one of them. I was certain to try to keep any falling leaves from the tree, gathered and raked up however!
Myrl Jeffcoat http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

i have a Chinese dogwood as understory to my bigger black walnut & it's doing very well. the walnut is around 40 years, & the dogwood is about 30. they are less than 3' apart. OTOH, there used to be an apple tree near the walnut & as the crown began to overhang the apple's area, it died back. i recently cut it down. and the blueberries are also dying back, but that could be because they're in pretty heavy shade from the sugar maples, as well as the effects of juglone. the younger black walnut is in my 'winter' pasture & i *wish* it would kill the weeds that grow under it :p
lee