Black Walnut Seeds

To whomever you offered to mail them to.

But placing your reply at the top makes it poor reading for many, difficult to reply to for some.

Reply to
John McWilliams

Sorry. Forgot the other part. JPEGs, PDFs, GIFs are a pretty safe bet.

Reply to
John McWilliams

You left part out.

While scarifying is an alternative, it is not necessary, any more than stratification. It may influence germination, but in nature, it doesn't happen that much, scarification that is. Nursery's stratify black walnut, but seldom scarify, just as they stratify other seed. Particularly in warmer climates.

From experience, not from the book, ran a black walnut operation in Missouri, and a nursery worker/observer in Texas. Stratification is a process used in nursery production, not in nature, natural effects of climate do the same without impute from man, except in the deep south. Try thinking about nursery processes instead of making judgment calls.

Reply to
Don Staples

Eggs Zachtly wrote in news:6b0zkgmhwtu0 $. snipped-for-privacy@sneupie.eingang.org:

I was just cleaning out the basement for a family of packrats. If you let me get to the back corner, I bet I can find some.

(The trashman told me that we've been putting out more trash in front of this house than some *neighborhoods* have. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Now, just where do you expect us to get some black walnuts from 1910???

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Sorry, but some things are best relied upon from the book.

Not many care what one claims to have done in the past that they can't prove anymore than barrroom anecdotal drivel... folks can and do claim all sorts of miraculous feats on teh net but unless they can offer actual proof it's just liquor tawkin'. All the sites from educational institutions that I read say that black walnut must be stratified to germinate... I've never done it myself but I believe edu sites. I ain't gonna spoon feed yoose on this one, look it up your ownselfs. I don't like walnuts anyways, pistachio rulz!

Reply to
Sheldon

Sorry, and your wrong. I have been a forester for 40 years. The process is the same, you said scarification is to remove the husk, wrong, it is to reduce the thickness of the shell. Moisture and freezing does that in nature, stratification as well. But in a nursery, you will note the following phrase, stratification is necessary in the deep south.

I don't need to look it up, junior, I live it.

Reply to
D. Staples

[....]

Sorry, and you are wrong. or Sorry, and you're wrong.

when compelled to argue with the know it all guy-0-mite it is important not to allow your point to be negated or reduced in it's effectiveness with improper word utilization.

be precise and make use of accepted standards.

scarification

1: the act or process of scarifying

scarifying

1: to make scratches or small cuts in (as the skin) 2: to lacerate the feelings of 3: to break up and loosen the surface of (as a field or road) 4: to cut or soften the wall of (a hard seed) to hasten germination

Reply to
Jim

Huh?? "it's"?

Reply to
John McWilliams

A very good book for you to get is this: BTW I have a copy and I could fax you the pages on walnuts if you send me your fax number to my email address.

"Seeds of woody plants in the United States" Forest Service Handbook No. 450 1989

883 Pages
Reply to
symplastless

John McWilliams, thank you for your assistance in making the point. there's just not that many helpful people around these days.

Reply to
Jim

Who am I emailing the pages too? Is pdf ok? Or jpeg?

Reply to
symplastless

Ok, I wilkl rake a look at it.

Al, would you like the pages copied and mailed?

Reply to
symplastless

My scanner just went south. If anybody else wants a copy of the article on the topic by the USFS email me your mailing address and I will go to Staples and make a copy and mail it to you.

Reply to
symplastless

-- Bigal

Reply to
Bigal

John asked a straight up question. Are you going to be the anti D. Staples? How about a non-wise ass answer?

Reply to
Billy

my perception is that John pointed out my incorrect use of the word "it's". I simply thanked him for his astute observation.

while pointing out something to D. Staples I offered D. Staples something in return to point out to me. John got there first.

- hth -

Reply to
Jim

Ah, pedagogy.