Black Snake in Basement

Page 1 of 2
My friend watched a "snake" wander down into my basement... evidentally it was in the attached garage and when the house door was open, snake came in and went into basement. Location is suburban Maryland.... we're had a lot of rain here in the past few days, I think the snake came in looking for a new home.
From the description it sound like a black snake .... all black with a few white spots on the face. size is undetermined....she thinks it was gigantic.... I'm assuming probably about 3 -4 feet.
Don't want to hurt him, just want him out of the basement. No problem with picking him up and relocating him, just gotta find him first.
But, I can't locate the snake in the basement and before tearing everything apart (lot's of everything in this basement), is there a simple method for dislodging the snake, without permanently injuring it ?? i.e. would spraying disinfectant under the shelving units and behind the boards make this snake decide to move and be located?? Are they sensitive to vibration ( I can turn on a sound system).
I really don't want to go through the place box by box and am looking for an easy to way flush him out into the open. Would a pet store mouse in a plastic box attract the snake??
Thanks for your suggestions ????
Don't be silly. Call animal control and let a professional take care of it.

evidentally it was in

went into

here in the past

few white spots

assuming
with
everything apart

dislodging the

disinfectant under

and be

system).
for an

plastic
When I saw what looked like a young rattlesnake slither into my downstairs familyroom, in a house with three young children, I called animal control, after I threw a full basket of laundry at it, and they said, 'good luck'. I called the police, they said, 'good luck'.
I called my neighbor, she said, 'OH, MY GAWD!' I felt better. I sent the children to my neighbor and she sent her husband to the house armed with a golf club. We searched the laundry, we searched the familyroom. The snake was nowhere to be found. I called my husband home from work, he up ended every piece of furniture, moved bookshelves, duct taped doors closed, went through every toy bucket. No snake.
Sent the family beagle into the room, she sniffed, ate up stray animal crackers, chewed a sock. No snake.
I called a snake fancier's club in town. They suggested a damp piece of burlap on the floor during the night and then approach with caution the next morning. No snake.
I went to the pet store, bought a sacrificial gerbil, put it in a glass aquarium, trained the video camera on it, filmed the poor thing all night. No snake. Gave the gerbil to the kid down the street.
Where the dang thing went we've never found out, no snake, no shed snake skin, no dried up snake corpse. The children are all teenagers now and one of them has his punk rock band practice in that familyroom. I think I can safely declare that the snake is gone.
Good luck!
kathy :-) <A HREF="http://www.onceuponapond.com /">Once upon a pond</A>
Ka30P wrote:

LMAO--that is too funny!! <as long as it isn't my house! LOL>
amy
Peter said:

When we had a snake get loose in the house, we eventually found it in the base of the water heater (the warmest place it could find). It took just a little man-handling to get him out from under there.
If your basement is typically cool, then look in the warmest spot. Or, maybe lure it out by creating a basking spot.

So far no sign of the snake. I placed a container with a heating pad inside and adjusted the temperature to cozy warm.
Interesting development..... on one of my trips to the basement, a mousetrap caught a mouse ( field mice have been getting into the basement). And the mousetrap was somehow knocked off the basement sill and landed several feet away on the floor. Now I thought that mousetraps killed mice instantly but evidentally that is not the case, as the mouse was still alive in the trap....and was able to be removed and placed in a container where he was busy cleaning himself up.
I'm not superstitious or spooky or anything.... but that mouse is an unbelievable co-incidence.. The snake hunt begins late this afternoon......

A black snake is the best rodent eliminator you will ever have. Forget the snake hunt and leave him alone he is harmless. I had an infestation of rats in my foundation plantings at a house I used to own, and poison nor drowning their holes with the garden hose would get rid of them. I told my cousin about my problem one day and he jumped in his truck and said I'll be right back. I thought he was either out of beer or had a hot date... but he came back with a six foot long black snake about an hour later and stuck its head in a rat hole... never saw another rat or the snake ever again. I also remembered my dad put one it the barn feed bin once too for the same reason.
Bad Bob
"Cook him till he's blue, and smother him in onions."

Check this site: http://www.tswildlife.com /
Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **
Peter, Could be a black rat snake or given the white spots a king snake. Either way it is harmless, except that it could startle you. The snake went in the basement for a reason and will probably move on unless it has no way out. I have both kinds around my house, under the deck and surely at times in the crawl space. I doubt you will see it except by accident and I really doubt you can search it out. Take heart and be glad you don't have the problem reported in the Dallas Morning News that some condo owners had.......
http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/052304dnmetsnakehandler.853f4.html
dennis anderson, sc

evidentally it was in

went into

here in the past

few white spots

assuming
with
everything apart

dislodging the

disinfectant under

and be

system).
for an

plastic

the
doubt
http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/052304dnmetsnakehandler.853f4.html
Dennis,
The link to the story was no good...could you just give an overviiew?
Lynn

Update: Took the basement apart... looked under shelves, behind dryer, washer water heater, Turned couches and chairs over. Not a sign of the snake......
I don't mind that he/she/it is down there, however the basement is pretty cool ( 60's) and there's not that much to eat down there except for some occasional crickets, and a stray field mouse. Not a good source of water either... I'd hate to see it starve to death.
Now I know that there are a few exit holes going back to into the garage, but is it possible that the snake can climb from a floor up to the top of the concrete blocks and get out again ??
In the meantime, I have plans to clean up a lot of the areas and perhaps spray some disinfectant to discourage the snake from taking up residence in the most obvious and accessible areas where people go.
Thanks !!!

If it could get in it can get out. Don't worry about if it can climb up a wall, they can climb damn near anything.
Bad Bob
"Cook him till he's blue, and smother him in onions."
Peter wrote:

A trick snake pet owners use to catch loose snakes it to put out a heating pad/stone under a basket for the snake to crawl into. Check the basket everyday with something large and ready to put over the snake who will coil until the warm spot. This might really work well in a basement where the cold will annoy the snake.
Good luck, Laura B.

I once had a pet California King snake that I kept in a large aquarium tank. It got loose, snakes are excellent escape artists, and we didn't see it for several weeks.
One morning I heard my wife scream, she found the King snake!
It had crawled into bed with her! <VBG>
'enry VIII
'enry VIII wrote:

Geez, did she divorce you????? :)
amy

No, she laughed about it later. :)
'enry VIII

heh, must be a California King snake habit. mine did the same thing. fortunately she chose to crawl into my bed & not my parent's, since i hadn't yet figured out how to tell my snake- phobic mom that my snake was loose...
lee
Day Three.... no sign of the snake...
I tore the basement somewhat apart but there are just too many boxes, books, magazines and pieces of furniture to check out. I did check the floor, under all shelves and emptied all cabinets. No snake.
Put a heating pad in a basket. No snake...
Put a picture of a female black snake wearing nylon mesh stockings next to basket. No Snake. (maybe the snake is female and would prefer a chippendale snake picture.
PIcked up a CD titled "music to charm snakes by" (it's an import from the middle east)... no snake...(but the plants started acting a little crazy.
Do snakes need water.... I guess they eat just live food..... perhaps cicada's ( Good supply of them... If I catch a bunch of cicada's and they can't get back into the ground...what happens??
Do cat's eat snakes ?? Do snakes eat cat's ??
Sorry to hear your no snake report. Been there, done that ;-)
>>Do snakes need water.... <<
Yes, they actually do. Which is why I viewed the downstairs toilet with a wary eye for some time.
kathy :-) <A HREF="http://www.onceuponapond.com /">Once upon a pond</A>
Thank you all for the laughs! I don't mean to laugh at you but with you. Right now I am very very happy that I DO NOT have a basement because I would be burning my house down to get it out!