Black Snake habits

Found a black snake hanging out by a concrete downspout run off block. snake was probably about 30" long with about a 1/2 inch head. Definitely a baby as they'll grow up to 6 - 8 feet around here. He was either drinking or sunning himself on the concrete.

Anyway... chased him back into his hole under a shrub.... ... trying to figure a few things out.... like WHY is he here...

I had a few field mice in the house, killled about 6 of them using traps and just threw the bodies under a few bushes in front. They disappeared overnight, however I thought snakes won't eat anything that's already dead. Wondering if that's what attracted him.

Have rabbits and doves in the garage...in raised cages...several feet off the floor.... not sure if that's what attracted the snake. I know the odors attract other rabbits.

And we have the usual assortment of wild critters hanging out... bird nests... found a few eggs on the ground, squirrels, couple of stray rabbits. Plenty of food for the snake to eat, plus a few snake predators, foxes, falcons, vultures,

So, do black snakes make permanent dens in a location or are they fairly transient ???? Any way to discourage him from hanging around ??

Sprayed the shrubs with a mixture of water / ammonia and If I see him again. he'll be relocated to avoid taking chances with the pet rabbits and doves.

But I'm curious.... eastern black snakes used to hang around barns and old farm houses... do they settle in long term or just termporarily.

Thx...

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Are you talking about the venomous black snake(s) of Australia, the non-venomous sort from north America or something else?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Maryland US. Eastern Black Snake non-venomous

Reply to
Peter

the concrete.

Now a non-issue.... the snake was wandering around today....a little larger than first estimate...about 4 foot long. Head is 1 1/4 long by about 3/4 wide...

He is being relaocated.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Try posting your question at the rec.pets.herp newsgroup.

Reply to
David E. Ross

the concrete.

I saw one the other day, about 6 feet long. They eat rodents and copperheads and generally shy away from people. For the most part when I see a black snake, I usually don't see him hanging around day after day. There is no reason to harass them. Sadly, folks here kill black snakes.

Reply to
Phisherman