black iris

Hello all!
Bought some black irises from Walmart last night and the clerk told me that her black irises only stayed black one year? What does this mean and what can I do to keep my irises black? Thanks!
-Jessica
not sure what type I have (outside of bearded) but mine have been black the last few years. I will admit the cooler winters seem to make the black more intense but they are at worst a faded black color.
I am wondering if it is a dyed, iris, I have read of these but never seen one.
J~
Jessi wrote:

Died irises. Hmm. I wouldn't hold it against Walmart to sell something of that sort!

there is such a thing as a black iris. It's so dark purple it appears to be black. I have them thanks to Mary Emma, a dear gardening friend and mentor/mother person. Mine have bloomed "black" now for three years. You won't have to do anything to "keep them black" as they're genetically this way. They are not dyed, nor will they "revert" back to blue or another color. They will stop blooming so much when they get overcrowded, but you've just started so you don't have to worry about dividing them yet. Enjoy them once they get cranked up. Remember, plant them toes on top of the soil................madgardener who shared a nice toe of black iris with a garden friend this spring.

In fact, there's even a wild species of iris that always extremely dark purple-to-black. It's native to the Negev Desert.
cheers,
Marj
* * * Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/ Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden / In Sunset zone 14-mild
I'm much reassured! Thanks!

Jessi wrote:

First of all, I never, NEVER buy plants from a hardware store, lumber yard, or department store.
What is the name of the variety? (If you bought them from a plant nursery, they would be labeled with a recognized variety name or at least sold from a bin with the name on it.) I have a bearded iris called "Study in Midnight" that is so dark a purple that, even close up except in bright light, it looks black. It has been "black" for possibly 10 years or more in my garden.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

I hear what you're saying, but buying iris rhizomes or plants from one of these places does not necessarily court disaster. Two years ago on impulse, I saw and bought rhizomes of Silverado and Batik, two irises I wanted, at WalMart at a price so low that I figured I wouldn't be out much if they didn't survive. Both survived and were absolutely spectacular this past spring. If I had ordered them from a "reputable" source, I would have paid four times as much.
If the price is right, and your pockets are not deep, an occasional flyer can be worth your effort. :) John