black fly problem

For the past few months I have had ever increasing little black flies in my home and they appear to be living in/around some of my houseplants. They are really annoying. Does anyone know what they are and how I can get rid of them? I'm keen on remedies which are not going to harm my newborn.
Thanks.
Jinge wrote:

It is possible that you have fruit flies (drosophila melongaster), but it really makes no difference what species of fly you have as the cure is the same. If you have a dog, great. If not, find a neighbor who has one, preferably a male. Obtain an ounce or two of urine from the dog. How you collect it is your problem, but once you have it, dilute it at a ratio of one ounce of urine to one pint of water. Put this mixture in a spray bottle (a used Windex bottle or anything similar will suffice) and spray a fine mist in all the rooms that have the fly problem. It will smell a little odd for a few hours, but will eliminate the flies with no harm to you or your family.

I was reading an article in a scientific journal* about how some ancient Meso-american cultures used jaguar urine to repel mosquitoes and biting flies. According to the recipe found, the instructions were pretty much the same as above - dilute the ingredient in water, and spray a fine mist around the desired area. I believe they used some modified kind of blow-dart tube for spraying. Anyway, due to uncertainties in translation, the researchers still aren't sure whether the mist actually eliminated the insects or just caused the people in the area to leave.
* American Journal of Archaeobiology, April 2004, "Fifth century pest management practices of the Pinchuu-Ixtal Basin", Legg, Poulan U. and Ettiz A. Yo-ke.
says... :) For the past few months I have had ever increasing little black flies :) in my home and they appear to be living in/around some of my :) houseplants. They are really annoying. Does anyone know what they are :) and how I can get rid of them? I'm keen on remedies which are not :) going to harm my newborn. :) :) Thanks. :) After reading the first response all I can say is ooooo.k.... before you try milking your neighbors dog, you should be able to find lots of info on the www on what to do non chemically for Fungus Gnats. You can repot your plants with new potting soil, try not to over water.
but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Lar wrote:

You don't milk the dog, Dimwit. You just get him to pee in a jar. What is so hard about that?