Black dot on the bottom of my tomato.

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some really impressive growth on my tomato plants over the last month. All of them have big tomatoes growing, particularly the beefsteak ones, almost as big as my palm, and seemingly growing daily.

My one concern is as follows: Whilst beginning my newly found hobby, I read a lot of information in regards to tomato diseases. One in particular, from memory, was that a tiny black hole (that looks like a dot) on the bottom of the tomato, is a bug (or a fly or.. Something's egg) that is harvesting inside my fruit, and will result on it rotting as it approaches maturity.

I might have mis-read this, but I found this morning, whilst looking at one of my tomatoes, that it does have, in fact, a small dot-like hole. The tomato is still green and very hard with a few weeks until it reaches full size and matures.

I haven't really been spraying them with anything and have been lucky to not have many bugs or flies around. I sprayed the plants a few weeks ago with an organic oil, but that's about it ..

Could someone please shed some advise on my situation? Will my tomatoes rot, or is this just a pock on my fruit..

Reply to
Ivan

Ivan, does it look like this? If so, it's blossom end rot.

KarenCannoli

Good idea. Much more useful than all of us guessing from our seats.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

rot.http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a7cac> Karen

No, I thought it might be blossom end rot, but it's a very small dot .. I will take a photo of it and post it somewhere.

Incidentally, should my plants require more calcium, would I be able to add some lime to the soil, or is it too late now?

Reply to
Ivan

Pick a tomato with a dot. Section. Examine. That will tell you if mysterious animals are chewing up your fruits.

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Uneven watering is the most common cause of blossom end rot. Liming takes quite a while to have an effect, maybe for next year.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott