Black blooms wanted

Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being black??

Reply to
TomKan

several Iris have "black" in the name, none truly black that I know of. Mostly really dark purple.

Reply to
Charles

I grow iris that are black, but just remember, in nature there is NO true black, it's a deep dark blue that is as close to black as can be found in plants and my iris are that dark as to be called black.

Reply to
Starlord

Reply to
Starlord

I planted a black and white garden and found the same concern! Black usually means purple. However, I did find black pansies that were truly black, a black annual poppy that is really as close to black as I've seen...there are some truly black iris varieties....There are a couple of varieties of hellebore that are true black and quite stunning! Good luck, Lyn

Reply to
Lyn Levy

The message from Lyn Levy contains these words:

"Bowles Black" is a good one.

And tulips. try "Queen of the Night". Then there's all the black-leafed plants, most a very dark purple, but I have a near-black phormium called Platt's Black, an aeonium Schwartzkopf whose leaves are almost black if it's kept in bright sun, and a very, very black-leaved mondo grass whose name has escaped me. Pittosporum Tom Thumb is nearly black in full sun, so is Sambucus "Black lace". Be warned, once you start collecting "black" plants, you'll get hooked. They look stunning planted near scarlet flowers or pale lemon yellow ones. Or blue-green foliage. Or cream-variegated foliage.

Search for plant names including "nigra" or "nigrescens".

There's a black-plants garden website, created by a Goth, but I've lost the url. Something like "www.gothgarden" :-)

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

The message from "TomKan" contains these words:

following last post I took a look around

will link you to the Black Plant Society :-)

and

Oh drat, now I have to buy another garden book :~} "Black Magic and Purple Passion".

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I have black Hollyhocks. Pretty close to black. and two varieties of "black" Columbines.

Violas were mentioned.

Reply to
Leon Trollski

Black mondo grass has the truest black-black leaves I've ever seen, &amp very black shiny berries. But not the flowers.

On a sunny day the tulip 'Queen of Night' does look black, but my camera's eye always brings out the fact that its purple.

'Black Barlow' double-columbine has pompom flowers that look pretty close to black.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Another black-flowered plant that comes to mind is Cleveland Sage. It truly appears to be jet black, and has lovely gray foliage. Alas, it's not hardy here in Zone 5, but worth keeping over winter.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

Blacks are actually deeep, deep purples, so in bright light you may see that purple tinge.

There are some black pansy varieties. The ones offered here as bedding plants are very black. They don't overwinter (Can. zone 4).

Black tulips are also very black, but after a year or two they begin to lighten up. Jolly things, tulips -- don't like to be gloomy. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir