Black blooms wanted

Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being black??

several Iris have "black" in the name, none truly black that I know of. Mostly really dark purple.
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
"Before the Storm", and others are as far as the human eye can tell are "Black" and I know I've got them blooming right now and even on film they show as "Black".

I grow iris that are black, but just remember, in nature there is NO true black, it's a deep dark blue that is as close to black as can be found in plants and my iris are that dark as to be called black.

TomKan wrote:

I planted a black and white garden and found the same concern! Black usually means purple. However, I did find black pansies that were truly black, a black annual poppy that is really as close to black as I've seen...there are some truly black iris varieties....There are a couple of varieties of hellebore that are true black and quite stunning! Good luck, Lyn

"Bowles Black" is a good one.
And tulips. try "Queen of the Night". Then there's all the black-leafed plants, most a very dark purple, but I have a near-black phormium called Platt's Black, an aeonium Schwartzkopf whose leaves are almost black if it's kept in bright sun, and a very, very black-leaved mondo grass whose name has escaped me. Pittosporum Tom Thumb is nearly black in full sun, so is Sambucus "Black lace". Be warned, once you start collecting "black" plants, you'll get hooked. They look stunning planted near scarlet flowers or pale lemon yellow ones. Or blue-green foliage. Or cream-variegated foliage.
Search for plant names including "nigra" or "nigrescens".
There's a black-plants garden website, created by a Goth, but I've lost the url. Something like "www.gothgarden" :-)
Janet.
TomKan wrote:

Black mondo grass has the truest black-black leaves I've ever seen, &amp very black shiny berries. But not the flowers.
On a sunny day the tulip 'Queen of Night' does look black, but my camera's eye always brings out the fact that its purple.
'Black Barlow' double-columbine has pompom flowers that look pretty close to black.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

following last post I took a look around
http://www.karenplatt.co.uk/ibps /
which will link you to the Black Plant Society :-)
and http://www.karenplatt.co.uk/ibps/ibpsarticle2.html
Oh drat, now I have to buy another garden book :~} "Black Magic and Purple Passion".
Janet

I have black Hollyhocks. Pretty close to black. and two varieties of "black" Columbines.
Violas were mentioned.
Another black-flowered plant that comes to mind is Cleveland Sage. It truly appears to be jet black, and has lovely gray foliage. Alas, it's not hardy here in Zone 5, but worth keeping over winter.
Suzy O

Suzy O wrote:

Blacks are actually deeep, deep purples, so in bright light you may see that purple tinge.
There are some black pansy varieties. The ones offered here as bedding plants are very black. They don't overwinter (Can. zone 4).
Black tulips are also very black, but after a year or two they begin to lighten up. Jolly things, tulips -- don't like to be gloomy. :-)