Black ants

Is there anything I can do to keep black ants (they are coming into my kitchen from the outside) other than using Raid or ant traps, etc?

Reply to
Mceezee

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) Is there anything I can do to keep black ants (they are coming into my kitchen :) from the outside) other than using Raid or ant traps, etc? :) :) You can attempt to totally seal your house keeping them out, find what they are attracted to and place it outside to keep them there, or learn to live with them :/ Squeeze one and if it gives off an odor you are probably dealing with odorous house ants. They don't live in "ant beds" like other nesting ants, but are like nomads, finding moisture to live around. Eliminating the moisture will cut down on the ants, but may kill your garden plants.

Reply to
Lar

Hi!

Reply to
Peppergirl

"........ Is there anything I can do to keep black ants (they are coming into my kitchen :) from the outside) other than using Raid or ant traps, etc? .........."

Move????

Reply to
David Hill

This is going to sound weird, but cinnamon powder will deter them. They hate it and won't cross it. I didn't believe it myself, but when they got into my terrarium I decided to try it. They stopped trying.

Reply to
Philip

Get some big pots of boiling water ready. Find their nest (usually a small, dirty stone-grayish spot in the grass outside, with lots of holes and ants runing around...its probably very close to your house). Get a spade shovel and quickly scoop up and saturate the area with boiling water. The few surviving ants will spend the next several days (weeks?) moving to another location, and retreat from your house. Replace the grass/dirt clump when finished.

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

Spray the outside of your house (3' up the walls and 3' out) with the proper solution of Diazinon and water. Takes care of the bugs. Keep away from pets!

Reply to
John DeBoo

Follow them to find out what they are coming in for (food, water?) Wipe down your counters with a white vinegar-water solution. Ants generally don't like to cross a chalk line. Boric acid works well.

Reply to
Phisherman

maybe you can consider growing a pitcher plant? these carnivorous plants would devour your ants :)

I just bought mine last week and the insect count is simply amazing!

Don't know if anyone suggested this remedy - ground cinnamon is a good repellent for ants. I know it worked for me in our bathroom where the ants found a place to get into the house. I just put the cinnamon down and no more ants.

Reply to
Gloria Lenon