Black and Decker 18 Volt cordless string trimmer

I read the reviews about this trimmer on Amazon.com and found that even though the trimmer was considered good the batteries weren't.

I have this trimmer and I like it very much, but the batteries are a pain. They will not hold a charge any longer, and had very little power after the first season of use.

I have found that if I put a battery in the trimmer, lock the on/off switch on and allow the machine to run until the battery is completely drained, then give the battery a quick charge (2 hours) the machine works almost as good as it did the first season.

However, for the best results the machine needs be used as soon after charging the battery as possible

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

Cordless rechargable garden tools typically last only one or two seasons, their batteries deteriorate rapidly, especially during the off season during storage. Many such cordless rechargeble products are also made so that their rechargeble batteries can't be replaced with off the shelf rechargables by the consumer, if sent in to the manufacturer's service center it'll cost more for their special battery pack replacement than to buy a whole new tool. And even when these tools do operate they do so for a very short duration between charges... you really need to own two complete units because there are no extra battery packs available like with cordless drills. You'd be far happier with a 2 cycle gas string trimmer. In my opinion Echo makes the best. Always buy these motorized tools from a certified dealer who services what they sell on premises.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I agree. I got about 5 years out of a trimmer and hedge trimmer combo that only cost $100 to find that battery replacements were $50 each. I hated to throw away the perfectly good tools. I have the more powerful gas and corded tools but the light duty battery ones were things the wife could handle.

Reply to
Frank

I am now well into the third season with the batteries that came with my trimmer.

Since I drained and recharged the batteries, The trimmer is working as good as it did on day one.

I have had other cordless lawn tools and have used the drain and recharge method on them and they lasted for years. I'm expect the same from this cordless trimmer.

I have had a number of gasoline trimmers, including a very expensive professional grade Echo. I used it for two years then gave it to my son-in-law.

I never liked the Echo or any other gasoline powered tools I have owned. (except for my Toro Personal Pace lawn mower) They are far too heavy, noisy, and smelly.

I have a large lawn, and the Black and Decker cordless trimmer more than meets my needs.

Freckles.

Reply to
Freckles

You sure don't sound like the same person who started this thread. If your trimmer is as great as you now say it why did you make your original post with all those complaints about its batteries?

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Freckles

Freckles

I read the reviews about this trimmer on Amazon.com and found that even though the trimmer was considered good the batteries weren't.

I have this trimmer and I like it very much, but the batteries are a pain. They will not hold a charge any longer, and had very little power after the first season of use.

I have found that if I put a battery in the trimmer, lock the on/off switch on and allow the machine to run until the battery is completely drained, then give the battery a quick charge (2 hours) the machine works almost as good as it did the first season.

However, for the best results the machine needs be used as soon after charging the battery as possible

Freckles ========== You did discharge the batteries before storing them over winter, didn't you? This is my 3rd season with the trimmer and I've had no problems, yet.... If I do I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks

Reply to
Nelly