Bit of help required

Hi there,
I was wondering if any of you folks could help us identify a plant/bush that is in our garden (we only moved in 6 months ago).
At first we thought that it was a Hawthorn (and it may well be) but it has started bearing small fruits and, as far as my research can take me, Hawthorn fruits hang on little stems?? These fruits seem to be attached directly to the branches.
The reason I need to identify it is that we have just brought a 10 month old lurcher pup home (along with our 8 year old son asking, this morning, if they were apples - not a good sign) and we were looking to make sure that they are not toxic!
Thanks for any help you can give, Alan
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Strange fruit in garden 003.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 257| |Filename: Strange fruit in garden 004.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 258| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
youngy

No hawthorn that I've ever seen. Leaves look too waxy, and the thorn isn't as intimidating as hawthorn, which doesn't prick, but impales.
--
- Billy
youngy wrote:

It looks somewhat like a quince to me, especially if the fruit takes on more of a pear shape as it grows.
gloria p
gloria.p;895103 Wrote: > youngy wrote:-

> plant/bush

> me,

> attached

> month

Thanks for that, Gloria. It seems you are right on the money. I am pleased to know that the fruit isn't poisonous so that is one less worry for the pup and our boy.
:-)
youngy

youngy wrote:

No she is not. I am not sure what it is but I will guarantee that it isn't a quince. A quince does not have that pink blush, it is a different shape and it is furry not glossy. The leaves are wrong in shape and texture, and the way the fruit sits on the branch is wrong.
Use Google Images for quince pics and you will see that it is quite different.
David

I think the 'quince' which is meant, might really be one of the chaenomeles. Those thorns would certainly indicate it's not what you and I would call a 'quince' but would fit the chaenomeles.
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote: > ;895237']youngy wrote:-

> isn't

> shape

> and

Erm...sorry mate but Gloria actually seems to be spot on. As you can see from the link, we seem to have Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles spp.).
The bush has ALL of the characteristics that are mentioned in the link (well, so far anyway, we haven't been in the house during an autumn yet, so I can only imagine that the fruit will turn yellow round about then).
'Flowering Quince' (http://tinyurl.com/282aqu4 )
Man, how I wish you had bet me money, rather than just giving me that guarantee.....LOL.
Thanks, again, Gloria....you gain a gold star :0)
youngy

youngy wrote:

Thankyou I accept.
Before we waste any more time on common name confusion this is what I mean by a quince:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quince
It appears that you mean Flowering quince. Fine.
David

:-)) Use of common namescan be quite irritating sometimes and especially when the name ends up being quite inaccurate.

How big are the fruit? They look like they are about 5cm or so?????