bineweed

Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

-Lyn

Reply to
lyngiven

Yes. All sorts of weird chemicals, but you probably won't want to put your hands in the soil after using them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Dilligent and relentless cutting it off at the base at least once a week. If the plant doesn't produce foliage it will eventually run out of life. This procedure must be done at least once a week, if not every four days. If it goes to flower and sets seeds, which it does at a remarkable rate, you're toast. Also, it's called bindweed, not bineweed, if it's the plant I'm thinking of.

Reply to
Jangchub

This is an example of the world catering to bad spellers. I found references to both names, sharing the same Latin designation - the convulvulus whatever it is relative of morning glory. I guess scientists have surrendered to mass culture. :-(

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Local folklore suggests that bindweed exists as a remedy for poison ivy which may exist in proximity. Does here. I prefer soap and water for possible contact with ivy. The bindweed was to be used as a lotion after the fact.

What the hell is convulvulus o learned one?

I guess you meant Convolvulus.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Right. I misspelled it. You win. Go have a fruit rollup to celebrate.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Bindweed because it literally binds anything in its path. Oh, and, uh...convulvulous? Hahahaha, you're a riot. :)

Reply to
Jangchub

Yeah. I already got burned for that.

Here's something that stinks of heresy: When lawns start choking from heat and drought in the middle of summer, bindweed stays green and feels cool to the feet. In other words, in my previous home, I surrendered. A guy from the NY Department of Environmental Conservation said "Yeah, there's a chemical you can use to get rid of it, but it's sorta like agent orange. Got kids? Want them to live more than a week?"

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When you pull bindweed out, each root fragment grows into a new plant. The only way is to kill the plants and roots. I have used two methods, smothering under a barrier and Roundup. Roundup kills the plants roots and all. Smothering is slow but eventually again.

Regarding the plant that is used as a treatment for poison ivy, it is jewelweed.

PRO:

CON:

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I am not suggesting anyone use "sorta like agent orange!" But there are those out there who still hanker for Kelthane. Go figure.

Reply to
Jangchub

Thanks for the correction!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

It's also called field bindweed. I have a few bindweed vines that try to grow in my yard each year and I quickly pull them out with my weed twister.

I've been told by an expert (Dr. Tom Lanini, UC Davis) that the roots of bindweed are connected to a deep network of roots that cover a large area. I showed Tom how my weed twister can easily pull out deep or shallow bindweed roots very thoroughly, but he wasn't impressed. Nonetheless, in my home garden, I've been able to keep this stubborn weed in check each year by twisting out a few new sprouts of bindweed as soon as I spot them. If you catch them early, as Jangchub advises, the work is minimal.

Go for the roots!

RayCruzer

----- A little work ain't going to kill ya!

Reply to
raycruzer

I grow morning glorys and they can spread just as fast and far as blindweed. The jackribbits here in the high mojave desert love to eat both of them.

Reply to
Starlord

Kelthane is a miticide, not a herbicide. Bindweed does attract spider mites so Kelthane would make it healtheir.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

With all due respect, I was not talking to you. Kelthane has been banned from the market. It's one of the most toxic chemicals on earth and pesticides are all pesticides, even if they are herbicides, still covered under the pesticide umbrella. Kelthane could never make any plant healthier. It's soil and cultural practices which gives plants health.

Reply to
Jangchub

If you are not talking to members of the rec.gardens community, then don't post to it. It is not your email.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

When quoting someone it is nice to include the whole post.

With all due respect, I was not talking to you. Kelthane has been banned from the market. It's one of the most toxic chemicals on earth and pesticides are all pesticides, even if they are herbicides, still covered under the pesticide umbrella. Kelthane could never make any plant healthier. It's soil and cultural practices which gives plants health.

I was still not talking to you, with all due respect.

Reply to
Jangchub

If herbicides are pesticides (by strict definition), then athlete's foot medications also fall under the heading of seafood.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe too early, but what did that mean?

Reply to
Jangchub

Cows and elephants share certain characteristics, but a cow is not an elephant. Herbicides and pesticides also share certain characteristics, but they are NOT synonymous, as you are suggesting.

A significant portion of American population is functionally illiterate. Spreading misinformation is irresponsible, and perhaps even treasonous.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom