Beyond the Macintosh

May I call your attention to an enchanting article in the May "Atlantic" about a man in Maine who has devoted his career to rescuing the heirloom apples that New Englanders used to grow in their back yards. Some 10,000 varieties used to exist, and our hero is doing his best to rescue what is still available, graft them, and sell the trees. Apparently people send him boxes and boxes of these apples to be propagated.
A heartwarming story, and I wish I could taste his favorite, the Black Oxford!
The story is not yet online (at Atlantic.com), so you'll just have to buy the magazine or look it up at the library. Actually, the Atlantic is about the only mag I subscribe to, for its excellent journalism and peerless style.Plug, plug, plug <g>
Persephone