Best way to winterize Geranium plants?

I have 6 hanging baskets of geraniums that I currently have moved to hangin g in front of my garage window. The garage never quite gets down to freezi ng, but does go as low as the mid-30's once or twice a winter, and the plan ts seem to go essentially dormant until later in the Spring when they get m ore light from the longer days.
The plants are now leggy after a summer of growing/blooming without any tri mming except for dead flower stalks. Should I trim them back now and try t o root the cut-offs, or wait until mid-Spring to do the trimming and hopefu lly rooting the cut-offs?
On Monday, November 17, 2014 11:06:53 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote :

zing, but does go as low as the mid-30's once or twice a winter, and the pl ants seem to go essentially dormant until later in the Spring when they get more light from the longer days.

to root the cut-offs, or wait until mid-Spring to do the trimming and hope fully rooting the cut-offs?
Doesn't anyone have any suggestions??
On 12/11/2014 8:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Do not trim the geraniums now. Trimming them is likely to force new growth, which will be more tender than mature growth. If there is the slightest chance of frost, that new growth will be killed.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see