Best way to thin out monkey grass?

Does anyone have any tips for thinning out monkey grass? It edges my landscaping beds around the house and it's getting too far into my beds. I'd just like to dig out about half the width of the clumps and move it elsewhere. I think it looks nice edging the bed, but edging is the key. It's nearly 2 feet wide now.
The last time I tried to move some of it I bent two shovels and broke a pair of hedge trimmers! Is there an easier way to dig into a mature clump of this stuff?
Ten years ago a neighbor told me to dig up as much monkey grass as I wanted. Now I let other neighbors take as much as they want. My monkey grass "borders" are now three feet wide! It grows extremely well in my climate, stays green in the winter and the deer don't seem to enjoy eating it.

How do you dig yours up? Do you just use a regular shovel?