BEST VEGIE SEEDS

Can anyone on here tell me where the best place to buy vegie seeds. I just got books from Harris seeds and Seymore seeds and Burgess and I ordered a book from Yung seed co. So can anyone tell me where they have the best luck with. By the way i'm in wisconsin. And I like to try starting my vegies in the basement this year
Romy Beeck said:

Harris is a quality operation, but not one I've ordered from in recent years.
My favorite is Pinetree, but I also rank Johnny's and Stokes very highly, and I like Territorial, too. Pinetree and Johnny's are in Maine, Stokes is based in Canada and Territorial in Oregon. Pinetree is oriented toward home gardeners, with smaller packets of seeds at very reasonable prices. Johnny's has developed and introduced new varieties and is oriented toward northern growers. Stokes is super for hybrid sweet corn (many exclusive to them). They also sell a number of flowers in single color packets that other suppliers only provide in color mixes.
Pintree: http://www.superseeds.com / Johnny's: http://www.johnnyseeds.com / Stokes: http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront Territorial: http://www.territorial-seed.com /

Use Google groups to search here and in rec.gardens.edible for suggestions/opinions. There is no "best" source. Pinetree and Johnny's are reputable and have many cold-climate varieties. Best to ask rather which are the *worst* experiences people have had. There are a few of these.

Check out this site and note their top 20 list:
http://gardenwatchdog.com /
Regards, Bill

Hi there - saw your post after I posted my rave about Johnny's. They're great. I had a great experience ordering from them. They have a great variety of veggie seeds. Check out their site if you want! http://www.johnnyseeds.com Hope this help you.
Regards, Alisa

For northern, short season varieties, Vesey Seed and Johnny's Seed. Both online.
I also use Johnny's with great success (looks like I'm not alone!). I also like Fedco- great for cold climates and lots of organic seed. Their catalogue is super, too. http://www.fedcoseeds.com /
Have fun!
Erin

Garden Watchdog is a great web site that rates virtually all mail order seed suppliers. You can find out who's hot - and more importantly - who's not. I rely on this heavily in my business. Happy Hunting!
--
Ron Riley, Ph.D.
Research Director
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:45:44 -0600, Romy Beeck wrote:

I've had good luck with seeds from Vesey's.