best time to prune limbs off Red Maple Tree?

Hello everyone!
I live in New England (Maine) and would like to prune some low branches off my Maple trees in the front yard. When is the best time for this? I assume now isn't a good time due to insect infestation. But is Fall better than Spring?
Thanks for your help!

I prune when so inclined.
Bill who has many maples about.
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Late July into August minimizes the bleeding. new england gal wrote:

Moderate pruning of live branches can take place anytime, but Spring is worst. The tree has just sent all its energy to the tips of sprouting branches, so you don't want to cut it off.
Dormancy is the best time. For us in TX, that could be summer, but for you winter is probably better.
Bear in mind, you should never remove more than 1/3 the canopy of a tree at any one time. Also, 1/2 the foliage should originate from the lower 2/3 of the tree.
good luck, Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT