Best stuff for removing fire ants from the yard?

Hello,
What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk around bare foot...
Thanks

It isn't instant, but Amdro or Logic are both relatively safe baits and extremely useful. You can also put out instant grits, which the ants forage and when the grains expand...boom.

How about instant grits coated with boric acid powder and a touch of sugar for good measure?
Bill bit by these guys on visits south
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:16:33 -0400, William Wagner

Boric acid in soil can be toxic to the structure. I only use boric acid indoors, and then only in the attic.
I have heard from a friend down in Ala (where fire ants got their start) that it does work. Ingrid
You can also put out instant grits, which the

Yes, I know it works. That's why I suggested it.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:36:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@kopan.com says... :) Yes, I know it works. That's why I suggested it. :) :) On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:36:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote: :) :) >I have heard from a friend down in Ala (where fire ants got their start) that it does :) >work. Ingrid :) >
:) > You can also put out instant grits, which the
And people say and believe that Elvis lives, when in fact they want him to live and they have seen some one with a resemblance... you can stop activity on an FA hill by adding grits on top of a mound..as with water...sand.. numerous things, but that doesn't mean the ants have died out, just changed the movement patterns hopefully to just a new entrance way, rather than budding out to several new nest locations. FA can't eat solid foods, have yet to see a study say that they can and that such cereal/grain based home remedies do kill ants. Sprinkling grits on a mound off the patio and noticing they don't seem to be active any longer but a new one has now shown up nearby can hardly mean the first mound seen was killed by the remedy.
http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-2-9-119,00.html http://entweb.clemson.edu/fireant/ifafaq.htm and when in doubt turn to the Aggies http://tinyurl.com/h75we
--
Lar

to email get rid of the BUGS

Fire ants eat bait which is encapsulated in a soy based product. They regurgitate it one to another till it reaches the Queen. The reason it is so effective is because it doesn't kill the ants before they can regurgitate it to the next ant in the line toward feeding the Queen or Queens of the mound.
Instant grits absolutely works, I've seen ants eating it and when moisture gets into the material it expands inside the ant.
What Elvis has to do with it is your fantasy, not mine.
Sorry, but using Instant Grits simply does not work. The theory behind the use of grits as a fire ant management is that the ants will eat the grits. And that once in the stomach, the grits will swell causing the fire ant to explode.
The thought of greedy little ants exploding like popcorn inside their mounds is very compelling.
    Remember, however, fire ant workers only drink liquids; they are incapable of ingesting solids. Fire ant larvae will east solid food, but they chew it up and mix it with saliva just like we do before they swallow it.
    Grits simply don't work, so any perceived effects are due to mound disturbance and colony movement. (Don't look so skeptical-it's true!)
Check out http:<//www.natural-ant-killer.com> for the solution to your ant problems. For only $19.95 + tax you are guaranteed to get the results you need!
snipped-for-privacy@usan.com says... :) :) Hello, :) :) What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants :) from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few :) months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a :) couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the :) house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to :) move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk :) around bare foot... :) :) Thanks :) :) The best product that I have used for long term yard control is Top Choice that would have to be applied by a pro (pricey).... the Do It Yourself version is Over N Out found at the Home Depot type stores. I haven't used it but it should work well. It's the same active ingredient just at a different strength than the Top Choice. As mentioned the logic (growth regulator) and Amdro is also a good long term aid...but the grits....mmmmm no...the fire ants do not eat solid foods, so it is sort of hard for them to go pop. And even if it did cause the larvae to pop after they ate it there would be a two week period of attrition to see results which is not what you would want for fire ant control. The easiest control is to keep a sprayer of ANY general insecticide, natural based or man made, even diluted several times what is suggested for use should be enough to take care of the ants and soak the mounds as they appear..after a few weekends you should be good to go except for the occasional mound that may show up.
--
Lar

to email get rid of the BUGS
johnnymo wrote:

The best product I've found is a bait called Logic. You broadcast it over the yard and the ant forage it and eventually it kills them off for a whole season (until your yard is recolonized from your neighbors)
If you have a few hill in high-traffic areas where you can't wait for the Logic to work, you can use Orthene 75S to kill those, or wait a few days after using the Logic and then sprinkle those hills with malathion to drastically reduce their number. (this may reduce the effectiveness of using the Logic.)
I don't know if Orthene is still listed for use on fire ants, but it used to be. I didn't use it much because I was afraid it would contaminate the ground water.
Bob
A high yield nuclear device should yield good results if detonated at ground level, but the ants will immigrate from adjacent locations thereafter, so you will need to repeat this treatment periodically. Do evacuate the area before each treatment.
Hello,
What is the latest and greatest stuff out there for removing fire ants from the yard? I recently bought a house that was unoccupied for a few months and they took over the back yard. They are everywhere and have a couple of mounds way out in the yard, but are really focused near the house. I am currently renovating right now, so I don't want them to move in when I move in. I have a pool and it makes it hard to walk around bare foot...
Thanks
North Korea must have read your post....