Best low-water seed mix for the Denver area?

We live in the Denver area and are moving to a house that has no lawn at present. I want to plant some grass seed mix over this fall and winter, so it sprouts by spring, but we DO NOT want Kentucky Bluegrass that requires a lot of water and mowing.
I've heard of native grasses like Buffalo but there are supposedly pros and cons to it, like it sprouts up late and dies off early. They say to mix it with other kinds so that they sprout early and stay later. Ok, what kinds?
We're looking for a lawn that we can water once a week and maybe mow once a month, and it would still look good? That would be great. Can we do that?
What seed mixes should I look for, for that, which would grow well in Denver?
Thanks in advance for your help.
--
- Popcorn Lover
If you love popcorn too, there are no popcorn groups on usenet but
Popcorn Lover Wrote:

Hi Popcorn Lover, Congratulations on your new home! I would suggest that you ask you local extension service which would be the best turf grasses to use. Before you do, you might want to read these sites so you ca familiarize yourself with the different types of grass. I will als include links on how to plant your new lawn, lay sod if you choose an how to organically maintain your lawn. I'm also including a link t the Colorado Extension Service. You might even find recommendations a the site.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu /
Turf Types: http://tinyurl.com/6obkt http://tinyurl.com/3sh9y http://tinyurl.com/5kty3 http://tinyurl.com/4on52 http://tinyurl.com/6hyu4
Seeding and Sod: http://tinyurl.com/4a3nz http://tinyurl.com/569jj http://tinyurl.com/6vlbl http://turfgrass.com/planting/rake.html
Organic Lawn Care http://tinyurl.com/5h7m7 http://tinyurl.com/4lyq6 http://tinyurl.com/6ddz8 http://tinyurl.com/5vr3o http://tinyurl.com/52l7n
Water: http://tinyurl.com/6rwwp
New
-- Newt

Years ago I read in the paper about something they were calling "superturf", that was supposed to be like that, but don't know whatever became of it.
Anyone?
--
Grassroots Activist
( no email - spoofed )
Years ago I read in the paper about something they were calling
"superturf", that was supposed to be like that, but don't know whatever became of it.
Anyone?
Grassroots Activist ( no email - spoofed )[/QUOTE Wrote:

-- Newt

sprouts by spring, but we DO NOT want Kentucky Bluegrass that requires a lot of water and mowing. I've heard of native grasses like Buffalo but there are supposedly pros and cons to it, like it sprouts up late and dies off early. They say to mix it with other kinds so that they sprout early and stay later. Ok, what kinds? We're looking for a lawn that we can water once a week and maybe mow once a month, and it would still look good? That would be great. Can we do that? What seed mixes should I look for, for that, which would grow well in Denver?
I'm not sure that there is a turf type that meets all of your requirements. All will require equal amounts of water initially, until well-established, but few can only be mowed once a month and still look good. There are several types of turf that are considered low-water grasses, including buffalograss and tall fescue, that will work here in Denver. You can read about them at: http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Lawns/turfchoi.htm Colorado State University, where different turf types are extensively tested to determine their suitability for this area, has a webpage on starting new lawns: http://csuturf.colostate.edu/Pages/newlawn.htm And there are seed companies that specialize in turfgrass seed specific for this area (also have a much lower weed seed count than most popular brands). I've purchased my seed from Rocky Mountain Seed Co (only because they are located the closest to me), at 1325 15th St., Denver, CO 80202 303-623-6223 but Arkansas Seed Company has a good reputation too. Give our Denver Extension Office a call and they will be glad to send you a list of preferred seed blends. 720-913-5278. To see examples of some of these grasses, visit the demonstration garden at Denver Water Department where they have plots of each, showing them both mowed and not mowed. And for any other gardening questions, see: www.denvermastergardeners.org sed5555
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sed5555) wrote :

Thank you!
--
Grassroots Activist
( no email - spoofed )
Sed5555 Wrote:

Great sites from Sed. Here's some more that should be helpful if yo decide to seed or sod a new lawn and want to maintain it organically a well.
Seeding, sodding, and prep: http://tinyurl.com/4a3nz http://tinyurl.com/569jj http://turfgrass.com/planting/rake.html http://tinyurl.com/6vlbl
Maintaining: http://tinyurl.com/5h7m7 http://tinyurl.com/6ddz8 http://tinyurl.com/5vr3o http://tinyurl.com/52l7n
New
-- Newt