Best ground cover to walk on?

Page 2 of 2

People will not be often walking on it. If they were, I would not have been asking about a ground cover. People are taking this way beyond my question.
I can't pave it. As I wrote there is a standard tree pit size and I can't reduce it.

Not knowing the lcimate of NYC, I wonder if various thymes (golden normal old domestic, lemon etc) might work? Makes a nice scent when stepped on, is fairly tough IME and won't catch feet ankles like periwinkle or ivy would.