Best compost to use for hanging baskets?

Hi all
Hanging basket time again.
What is the best compost to use and is there any additives i can use to retain water?
Thanks in advance.
Duncan
--
Duncan Munday

On Mon, 9 May 2011 14:47:23 +0000, Duncan Munday

I don't understand the question. You can buy compost and it may be a certain kind, eg mushroom, but mostly it is just some brand name and they don't say what is in it. OTOH if you make your own it is whatever it is, according to what you are composting. OTOH there are commercial potting soils which are not compost but may contain compost. Can you clarify?
Yes there are water retention beads and wetting agents that may help with water retention. See your local nursery.
David

Vermiculite and perlite are additives that can help retain water. Moat compost sold in stores are animal manures. Plant manures may be better and typically are free at local communities recycling centers.

On Wed, 11 May 2011 02:22:29 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

I'll have to keep an eye out for those plant manures, I don't want any of the house plants taking a shit in the lounge room.
David

I agree! Also those half composted buggers can stink to high heaven!
I turned my plant manure pile a week ago and it stunk! But it is now back up to 160 degrees from 80 degrees.

Hi David
Thanks for the advice, i have to go to the local recycling centre this weekend so will see what they have to offer.
Duncan
--
Duncan Munday